Cowl Said 90hp!

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently bought a 90hp '79 Merc from an garage sale for $250. It runs great. I recently winterized and did some preventative maintenance on it, comes to find out it is a 115hp. The inner shroud on the cowling has been changed at some point in time.
It is on a 18' Bayliner that is only rated for 90hp. The merc already weighs 50lbs more than the 90hp Force I had on it. I talked to the Bayliner dealer in my area and they said the transoms for the 18' and 19' were exactly the same, and the 19' were rated for 130hp. My mechanic said that I could just leave it and just be careful. But I would only be able to insure the boat and not the motor. I read many posts about overpowering, and can't really decide what to do. I was just wondering what all you guys thought.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Cowl Said 90hp!

I recently bought a 90hp '79 Merc from an garage sale for $250. It runs great. I recently winterized and did some preventative maintenance on it, comes to find out it is a 115hp. The inner shroud on the cowling has been changed at some point in time.
It is on a 18' Bayliner that is only rated for 90hp. The merc already weighs 50lbs more than the 90hp Force I had on it. I talked to the Bayliner dealer in my area and they said the transoms for the 18' and 19' were exactly the same, and the 19' were rated for 130hp. My mechanic said that I could just leave it and just be careful. But I would only be able to insure the boat and not the motor. I read many posts about overpowering, and can't really decide what to do. I was just wondering what all you guys thought.
Leave the 90HP cowling on and don't tell anyone, don't be stupid and you'll be just fine, I'm not going to say what I have other than a wolf in sheep's clothing.
I hope this thread doesn't get ugly, I may be giving bad advise but life is full of risks, take it for what it's worth, NOTHING.

Bifflefan

Commander

But I would only be able to insure the boat and not the motor.

I am NOT an insurance guru, but id think that your insurance would be void unless you had it in the policy that it was over powered. Other wise id think even PLPD on the boat, they would not cover. On my 16 they only asked the HP of the motor, not the max for the boat. But then again mine is under the max.

Just my thoughts...

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I say put it on the boat. a little extra wieght wont hurt. As far as the insurance co. goes it has a 90 hp cover, you could play stupid. Im sure some poeple will disagree. But half the boats Ive ever owned have been over powered and as long as you drive the boat sensible, you wont have a problem either. It will be nice when you have 4 people in the boat and it still gets up on plane easy!

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you're concerned about insurance, do the right thing and comply with all applicable rules and regulations including limits on horsepower. If you ever need to file a claim and the insurance company finds any irregularity they may deny your claim; this makes the insurance worthless, especially if you had prior knowledge of a risk and concealed it.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer; this is my personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth: nothing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The insurance companies have records of boat manufacturers, models, and capacities so they know what the boat is rated for. If you told them it had a 115 even though it had a 90 HP limit and they wrote the policy, you might get a ration of BS from them but if the case went to court, you would probably prevail. It is when you lie that the insurer leaves you holding the bag.

a70eliminator

Captain

My boats are written into my homeowners policy as recreational and they never even asked one single question, this is liability only coverage neither boat is worth carying comprehensive.
I'm so glad I wasn't bashed for suggesting to go with it, somehow I knew this would turn into an insurance discussion.
Everything else aside, I shouldn't need to tell you the importance of having evrything tip top, if the transom has any evidence of rot then forget it, but everything being solid and rot free no worrys.
I have a 55lb kicker hanging off my transom on top of what I already mentioned, just have to watch carefully how I load.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I say put it on the boat. a little extra wieght wont hurt.
HTML:
As far as the insurance co. goes it has a 90 hp cover, you could play stupid.
Im sure some poeple will disagree. But half the boats Ive ever owned have been over powered and as long as you drive the boat sensible, you wont have a problem either. It will be nice when you have 4 people in the boat and it still gets up on plane easy!

I think ins co's are kinda like the IRS (they dont overlook stupid) :(
Although i kind of agree with the previous posts- I'd run the puppy as long as the xtra weight isn't bothering you :cool:

There is the question about the title to motor of course- I assume is says 115hp? That would be kind of hard to get around with the insurance guys again assuming you have to provide it to even get insurance :confused:

WAIT!!! I got it --- If something happens just sue the dummy you bought it from :p

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A 90 and a 115 are typically in the same engine "family" and the weight difference between the two HPs within the same brand should be negligible. My recommendation would be to thoroughly investigate the insurance ramifications but if it works out, I'd go for it. Keep your boat in good shape and be careful. I assume we are talking about an older Bayliner here....are you sure there's no rot?

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How would be the best way to tell if the transom is in perfect shape? My mechanic said everything looks good, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to see things with my own eyes.

jonnyspeed

Cadet

One thing to keep in mind is how Horsepower is calculated. in '79 it was measured at the crankshaft. Now it is measured at the Propshaft. Your old 115 Merc is probably only about 90hp at the Propshaft anyways. It's not like you are talking about hanging a 300hp V8 on there. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

play dumb. You thought it was a 90. seller told you 90. It says 90 on the cowl.
as far as you know, it's a 90.

Don't take it past 3/4 throttle and guess what:

it IS a 90.

If you have any insurance concerns, delete this thread.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Just a dumb thought BUT---
Get a new set of cowling decals & do it right--
Hard to go wrong when YOU know its RIGHT :cool:

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BOSS HAWG,titles to motors?is there really such a thing ?ive never seen or had a title for a motor in 35 years,is this a state by state thing?mind you, i live in Canada and when i actually did by a new motor all i ever got was a bill of sale.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

If you're concerned about weight - it should only weigh about 315 lbs. The 90 would weigh exactly the same. I have a hard time invisioning an 18 foot rig rated for only 90hp. I would think 90 would be a good acceptble minimum. But, you never know with the way Bayliner did things.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

BOSS HAWG,titles to motors?is there really such a thing ?ive never seen or had a title for a motor in 35 years,is this a state by state thing?mind you, i live in Canada and when i actually did by a new motor all i ever got was a bill of sale.

Yes, here in Texas motors (of a certian age & newer) are titled -
I think it is a state to state thing
No need to resigster or anything but the best proof of ownership ( + another way for big brother to collect funds :rolleyes:)

tunnelvision

Recruit

one thing to think about is that the 79 model motor was flywheel rated horsepower.. where as in the mid 80's the ratings changed to prop rated horsepower... so the 79 motor might actually be closer to 90 hp prop rated.. :D

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have just spent the last hour surfing the www looking for the date Merc started prop rating their engines; maybe they always did. I read in numerous places that OMC switched from engine powerhead ratings in '83 when the ICOMIA Standard 28-83 was published in an attempt to standardize the industry.

I'll bet that if anyone knows for sure it's Laddies who is a contributor on this site. He said that he has been associated with Mercs for years and he just might know.

Ask him and return the favor by PM'ing me and let me know the outcome of the conversation.

Mark

OldMercsRule

Captain

I have just spent the last hour surfing the www looking for the date Merc started prop rating their engines; maybe they always did. I read in numerous places that OMC switched from engine powerhead ratings in '83 when the ICOMIA Standard 28-83 was published in an attempt to standardize the industry.

I'll bet that if anyone knows for sure it's Laddies who is a contributor on this site. He said that he has been associated with Mercs for years and he just might know.

Ask him and return the favor by PM'ing me and let me know the outcome of the conversation.

Mark

Hey Mark

I'm not as bright a Laddies, (Bob), butt: I do know that the 1981 Merc was rated at the crank n' the 1982 was at the prop. That said: the Mercs (especially the inline6s) were underated, as were the old Mark series in the 1950s.

The 1500, 1400, 1350 n' such were rated at 5500 to 5800 while the 900, 1150, 1250 n' such were rated in the low 5000 RPMs (like 5200 or 5300), where they all turned 6,000 RPMs all day long n' made lots of power up there in those turns as most ol' inline fellers, (as you), know.

Me overpriced $.02, (only one functional brain cell), JR

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I have a hard time invisioning an 18 foot rig rated for only 90hp. I would think 90 would be a good acceptble minimum.

That was my thought too. My 16 1/2' aluminum fishing boat with a side console is rated for a 90.