So, is the tilt-up position ok for 4-strokes?

kimgw

Recruit
I ask, because my brand new Nissan 6hp SailPro, which ran fine the first two times(idling at the dock), would not idle after being in the tilt-up position for the last week. I had to leave the choke half-out to keep it running. :mad:
The fuel is two weeks old.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: So, is the tilt-up position ok for 4-strokes?

Store it in the fully down position.
Never leave any OB or stern drive at full tilt for an extended period of time.

kimgw

Recruit

My previous Nissan, a 5hp 2-stroke, was always in the tilt-up position! I am a sailor, and the motor is primarily for getting in to and out of the L.A. Harbor. Once outside the harbor the motor comes up! If I stored the new motor in the down position, it would grow mussels in short order! I would have to physically remove the motor every time I sail the boat!

Not to mention that every other motor I see in the harbor, whether 2-stroke or 4-stroke, is in the tilt-up position when not being used. . .:confused:

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

section 6-3 or page 17 of your owners manual "Motor should be stored in a vertical position."

kimgw

Recruit

2230316014_7e364b94dd_b.jpg

This is an old picture, but it shows the way a mounted outboard (in this case the old 5hp Nissan) sits on my catamaran in the slip, or while sailing. This doesn't work with a 4-stroke? There is no way I'm going to take the motor off in a seaway and stand it up, eh? I can stand it up in my garage, but not on my boat.

If this is true, other than for long-term storage, it is a complete fail! I never heard word one about this from other sailors. . .

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you can get an adjustable bracket that will lift it out of the water while keeping it vertical.

tommays

Admiral

NO most ever outboard is tilted OUT of the water to stop sea life from growing all over it
P5132455.jpg

But you do have to run it out of fuel OR better open the bowl drain

I have always only gone 1 click up which allows it clear the water

pvanv

Admiral

Yes, the tilted-up position should be OK. It's preferable, but not required, to swivel the motor so the correct side (shifter side) is up.

The question about tilt on any 4-stroke has to do with motor oil leaking past the rings into the combustion chamber. If that happens, you get liquid lock (and the recoil will appear jammed). To clear that condition, pull the plug(s), and cycle the recoil to purge the oil, then reinstall the plugs, top up the oil, start, and running will burn out the oil residue.

It would appear that your problem is not liquid lock. More than likely, it's some stuff in the small passages in the carb, causing a lean condition, which you can mask by applying partial choke. This typically is caused by poor quality fuel, or sitting too long without draining the gas from the carb. The fix for that is to remove the carb, completely disassemble it, and thoroughly clean it (then reassemble and reinstall it). Not a bad idea to scrap that gas and get fresh.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess once again the manufacturer just wasted thier time writing a manual with the answer to your question in it.

tommays

Admiral

And so they just put the TWO position tilt lock in there to mess people UP and dont really want you to use it ? Or is only for 15 minutes or less :)