tilt/trim retrofit

yrsouth

Cadet
Is it feasible/affordable to add power tilt/trim to an existing motor?
1982 Merc 50hp 4 cyl. The older I get, the heavier it gets.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt/trim retrofit

I'm going to say yes. Back then trim consisted of a piston on either side of the engine and was probably a Merc aftermarket design idea to put trim on an engine design that was years old and wasn't initially conceived with trim.

I had an '84 85 Merc with this type trim and to the best of my recollection, it was feasible to remove the engine from the clamp bracket and install a different clamp bracket containing the lift cylinders....course you need the hyd pump also.

Find yourself a Merc dealer that has been in business for 35 - 40 years and he may have just what you want in his scrounge area....plus he will surely install it for you. I did that with a '72 OMC, course it was only tilt as OMC didn't put trim on it's engines till the next model year.

HTH

Mark

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sure it can be done! It will run you about $400 to $500. The parts can be had online. Used of course. Cylinders, pump, switch and new hoses. You'll need to do some searching, but the parts needed are available.:)

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most cost effective way is to install an aftermarket tilt trim unit. My the time you round up all the used parts to retrofit an older outboard you will have spent the funds needed to by a new CMC unit. Figure in the added cost to replace/repair/rebuild the used parts you rounded up and you will have spent more than the cost of aftermarket unit.

Have a look here: http://www.transom-jacks.com

PT-130.jpg

kingfish62

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a link to the best price I could find on the web for the CNC PT-130 after market unit that would be right for your 50 hp engine. You may be able to find it cheaper if you take more time than I did in your search.

http://www.magemarinestore.com/cmchytitrun.html

Good luck with it.

Moody Blue

Captain

Most cost effective way is to install an aftermarket tilt trim unit. My the time you round up all the used parts to retrofit an older outboard you will have spent the funds needed to by a new CMC unit. Figure in the added cost to replace/repair/rebuild the used parts you rounded up and you will have spent more than the cost of aftermarket unit.

Not necessarily true. I purchased my used unit for $200 complete with a full parts motor. Works flawlessly and I saved a ton of cash and got a parts motor as a bonus.

If you are on a limited budget shop around and you can find good deals on used units. If money is no object then buying new is the way to go for sure.