Best new outboards on the market today

Best new outboards on the market today

• Total voters

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Ok, I've been inspired by a few threads debating the pros and cons of the older (pre 1980) outboards i.e. Merc vs. Johnson. I want to hear what people have to say about the new models (2007 and newer).

Personally I am in love with the new ETECs. The admiral catches me on the evinrude site almost daily, drooling over the latest 115 HP or reading the test results for the bigger 225 or 300. I guess it's better than some of the sites I could be on!

What do you think? Evinrude, Merc, Yamaha, Suzuki??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best new outboards on the market today

Ok, I've been inspired by a few threads debating the pros and cons of the older (pre 1980) outboards i.e. Merc vs. Johnson. I want to hear what people have to say about the new models (2007 and newer).

What do you think? Evinrude, Merc, Yamaha, Suzuki??

There are newer outboards than 80's models !!!!
Many of us out here with 80's motors consider them to still be new.
Most likely have a 2007 model in around 25 years time.
I will let you know then.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

From where I sit all of the outboards currently produced are "good". In fact, except for a few, outboards have all been pretty good for as long as they have been built in mass numbers.

The excepctions I can think of are probably some sort of personal bias. However, I will never own a Chrysler/Force ever again. I guess if I was able to buy a new one I wouldn't have to worry about that since they have been out of production for so long now.

I think it is funny that you didn't include Honda on your list of choices. As far as reliabilty and so forth Honda always ranks very high. They may be a little heavy and a little slow...but they are reliable.

I didn't respond to the poll because I think you should have an "all of the above" option.

However, if I were in the position to buy a new motor today and I had a boat worthy of a new motor (maybe a brand new boat) I would try really hard to get an E-Tec. If I couldn't get that I would be looking at any of the other direct injected two strokes that are out there. I like the perceived "simplicity" of a 2 stroke.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As said earlier, most of the new motors are pretty darn good.

I will hopefully be powering in teh Spring and will be looking hard @ going 4 stroke this time. Either a 225 Hp Zuke or Yammi. Tired of pouring 3 gallons of $30 a gallon oil in the tank ever other 4-5 days.

If I where to stay 2 stroke I'd probably go with the 225 Opti XS. Can't see paying a premium for a E-Tec when I can get the same or better performance for less.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

The best new outboard on the market today is the outboard that best performs the tasks that the owner requires at the price point the owner can afford.. Plain and simple. A 50hp Mercury four stroke might be a heavy, slow motor to someone running a fishing rig, but for someone buying their first pontoon rig, it might be perfect.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

From where I sit all of the outboards currently produced are "good". In fact, except for a few, outboards have all been pretty good for as long as they have been built in mass numbers.

The excepctions I can think of are probably some sort of personal bias. However, I will never own a Chrysler/Force ever again. I guess if I was able to buy a new one I wouldn't have to worry about that since they have been out of production for so long now.

I think it is funny that you didn't include Honda on your list of choices. As far as reliabilty and so forth Honda always ranks very high. They may be a little heavy and a little slow...but they are reliable.

I didn't respond to the poll because I think you should have an "all of the above" option.

However, if I were in the position to buy a new motor today and I had a boat worthy of a new motor (maybe a brand new boat) I would try really hard to get an E-Tec. If I couldn't get that I would be looking at any of the other direct injected two strokes that are out there. I like the perceived "simplicity" of a 2 stroke.

Hey, you're right. I should have added Honda and Tohatsu. It slipped my mind at the time. Is there any way to edit the poll now?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Have you read this thread? http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=360236

It's all about personal preference......

I hadn't read that, thanks for the link. Great article and I was surprised by the results. Looks like at the 50hp level at least, there really isn't much difference at all performance-wise.

I'm sure there are differences in weight, cost, maintenance though.

Truly it is about personal preferences and what matter most to each situation. Personally I love the ETEC but price makes it only a fantasy for the time being. Seems like I'm not alone as the ETEC is in the lead at this time.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Hey, you're right. I should have added Honda and Tohatsu. It slipped my mind at the time. Is there any way to edit the poll now?

I wouldn't consider Tohatsu to be a full line outboard manufacturer. Their largest motor is only 115hp. That said if you don't need more than that, I think they may be a great budget minded choice.

Of course the smallest Evinrude is 25hp so maybe that isn't a full line either. At one point there was a rumor that they were working on 10-15hp model. I wonder if that is true.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Tohatsu's largest engine is a 140, it's just not allowed to be sold in the U.S. anymore.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Tohatsu's largest engine is a 140, it's just not allowed to be sold in the U.S. anymore.

My point still stands. All the other manufacturers listed have motors up to 250hp+.

I will say it again though, if you don't need anything that big, Tohatsus seem to be a good motor for a respectable price.

Is the reason they can't sell the 140 due to emissions?

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would choose the Optimax over the E-TEC any day of the week and for these reasons; 1. I am just not sold on the idea of being able to run a motor three years without maintenance,..2. I am not sold on the idea of running a motor full throttle right out of the box without breaking it in first,..3. I am not sold on the idea of being able to run it for five hours without oil,...4. Price,...I would not pay the price they want for that motor. But,...if I can't have a DFI
motor,I would stick with an American made four stroke motor by choosing a
Mercury,...I am NOT going to allow a foreign made motor on any boat I buy now or in the future. I will stick with the truth,...I will stick with Mercury by
not buying into the claims that the E-TEC makes. I may be running an old Evinrude two stroke now,but that is hopefully going to change next spring
when I look into a new Lund A-14 with a 15 HP Mercury four stroke.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

My point still stands. All the other manufacturers listed have motors up to 250hp+.

I will say it again though, if you don't need anything that big, Tohatsus seem to be a good motor for a respectable price.

Is the reason they can't sell the 140 due to emissions?

Yep. The near mythical 135 hp Tohatsu TLDI DFI model will be released someday...Hopefully before I'm completely senile:)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I would choose the Optimax over the E-TEC any day of the week and for these reasons; 1. I am just not sold on the idea of being able to run a motor three years without maintenance,..2. I am not sold on the idea of running a motor full throttle right out of the box without breaking it in first,..3. I am not sold on the idea of being able to run it for five hours without oil,...4. Price,...I would not pay the price they want for that motor. But,...if I can't have a DFI
motor,I would stick with an American made four stroke motor by choosing a
Mercury,...I am NOT going to allow a foreign made motor on any boat I buy now or in the future. I will stick with the truth,...I will stick with Mercury by
not buying into the claims that the E-TEC makes. I may be running an old Evinrude two stroke now,but that is hopefully going to change next spring
when I look into a new Lund A-14 with a 15 HP Mercury four stroke.

That 15 hp Mercury is a foreign made Tohatsu with a Mercury sticker:) There is no longer any domestic U.S. manufacturer of an engine under 40 hp.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'm pretty sure the Mercury mid range 4 strokes powerheads are made by Yamaha...90-135hp or something in that range. I know for sure that the 115hp is Yamaha powerhead. Actually, I'm pretty sure other than the Verados all of the other Mercury 4-strokes use imported powerheads.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That 15 hp Mercury is a foreign made Tohatsu with a Mercury sticker:) There is no longer any domestic U.S. manufacturer of an engine under 40 hp.

DAMN! Oh well,...it won't change my mind any. I guess that since it is a Tohatsu made powerhead I can expect top notch reliability?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Power head? They are Tohatsu engines with Mercury decals. Yamaha and Mercury had some hybrid models up until the "Great Dumping Scam" a few years ago after which they parted ways. But, Tohatsu has always built complete Tohatsu engines for Mercury since the early 90's. There are some cosmetic differences and some Mercury models do have that "shift in the grip" rather than the "positive front shift" that the Tohatsu labeled engines have. Mercury probably has a conversion kit for that so you can change to the much more reliable Tohatsu shift design.....Although some people really like the convenience of the grip shift. That's probably a wash either way.