Mercruiser Shift Cable ***Update***

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
I have a quick question pertaining to the shift cable on my boat. I have a Mercruiser 270 with an Alpha 1 Gen 1. Today I was out at the boat and installed a rebuilt carb and started the engine. The engine was producing a sound that sounded like you are trying to put a car with a manual transmission into gear without pushing in the clutch.

I immediately shut the engine down to have a look. The PO stated that after He had replaced all of the bellows and a new shift cable that He never hooked the shift cable back up and that He lost all of the pieces to do so. I tryed to pull the cable by hand with no luck. the prop spins both ways but it has a clicking sound to it. I had another guy turn the prop by hand while I tried to push or pull the cable, also with no luck.

I started the engine again with the same sound. I tried to push and pull the cable with no movement. The gentleman that was outside the boat told me that the prop was spinning but I forgot to ask him in what direction.

So my question is how hard is it to pull on the cable to move outdrive in and out of gear? I can get the cable to move about half of an inch. Any info would be greatly appreciated...

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser Shift Cable

Cable should be able to move by hand,you might have to remove the drive to verify the correct installation.Manuals are availavle in the Adults section.

zbnutcase

Commander

Sounds like the shift arm is not in place in shift slide. Time to pull drive and have a look! 'nutcase

cr2k

Captain

Where is the guide tube and jam nut?
The cable should move in and out a total of about 2 inches.

I agree, the slide and arm got tweaked. The set screw on the end of the slide (in the bell housing after you pull drive) should be set so there is no play push/pull wise (as little as practical) and loose enough so the slide can rotate.

Note it should also be safety wired.

Put a dab of grease between the rails on the slide and "stick" the arm in the grease. This should hold it in place during drive install.

Also check the cavities for the slide (both housings) as this area gets full of sand and or corrosion and restricts the slides travel.

You should be able to push (forward) and pull (reverse) fairly easily.

DO NOT put and heave lube in the cable or you will have issues triggering the interrupter. At most some tri-flo or silicone. And very lightly. These cables are designed to be used dry, as they came.

If the PO put a new core in an old housing you may have issues with the housing. Picture looks like new style cable so yo won't need to measure and cut legenth.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I have the manual, I just posted here to see if I was missing something. I will be pulling the drive off. I also think the PO messed somthing up when He put the drive back on...

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

I have the manual. I just posted here to see if I was missing something. I will be pulling the drive off. I also think the PO messed somthing up when He put the drive back on...

Good decision !

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser Shift Cable ***Update***

I'm still a little angry as I write this so bare with me.

I bought the part for the shift cable I needed at a boat salvage yard for 2 bucks. I went to the boat the other day and removed the outdrive to see what was binding up the shift linkage. When I removed the outdrive I noticed that the dip sh!t PO did not use new gaskets or o-rings. As a matter of fact He used no o-rings at all, just a big gob of silicone. After seeing this, and knowing that He told me He replaced the water pump,impeller,and bellows I had better pull off the other drive and double check all of his work.

After pulling both drives apart and replacing both water pumps and impellers that looked like they were the stock ones installed in 1987 I put the drives back on my boat. (bellows looked good) (And He wont return any of my phone calls or emails)

Now back to the original problem.

While the drive in question was off the boat I checked the shift shaft lever cable and it moved freely. I turned the shift shaft on the outdrive and it worked perfect, locking in and out of gear like it should. I put the drive back on made sure everything was lined up perfect (Using brand new gaskets and o-rings). I went up to the helm of the boat and the shifter would not move out of forward gear. I checked the drive and it was right between being locked in forward and neutral. just clicking a little when turned the prop by hand. I had a guy at the marina jump in my boat and try to move shifter as I was turning the prop and nothing; Its stuck. So not only am I upset about this but, the guy who was helping me decided to pull on the shift/throttle handle so hard that he broke the shift cutout switch cable and broke my shift/throttle handle. This is how locked up the shift shaft is.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this problem? Something has to be binding up when I put the drive back on. I got so mad I just had to walk away from the boat today because if I would have had a match in my pocket she would have been burnin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

with the drive off, and everything connected inside the boat. Can you move the shift lever?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, well it was until the dork helping me was pulling on my shift box so hard that he broke it.

Everything would move perfect before I reinstalled the outdrive...

45Auto

Commander

If you had everything in FWD gear (throttle assembly & outdrive) like you're supposed to when you install the outdrive, then it's possible the shift shaft in the lower is installed a couple of splines off. It's also possible that the lower slipped out of FWD if you don't use a bungee cord or something similar to hold pressure on the prop to keep it in gear when you install the outdrive.

Those are really some aggravating posts to read with that huge bold font. Don't be surprised if some of the old-timers don't even bother to respond to you.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did you make sure the drive/s were in forward gear along with the shift handle prior to assembly. Check your manual. Sounds like they may not have been.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yes it was in forward gear. I stated in my post as soon as I finished installing the drive that it would not shift out of forward gear.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Those are really some aggravating posts to read with that huge bold font. Don't be surprised if some of the old-timers don't even bother to respond to you.

I put it in that font because I read where some of the old timers were bitchin about long posts without paragraphs. I thought I would make it easier to read...

PS.

I have installed many outdrives. I just installed the one on the port side with no problems. The shift shaft is working perfect. If I point the slot so its facing forward (12 o'clock) it locks the prop, put slot in 45 deg (between 1 & 2 o'clock) its in neutral, and (3 o'clock) prop locked again. With drive off it slips in and out of gear with my finger tips...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

After pulling both drives apart

Are we dealing with 1 drive here or do you have twins?

If you have 2 drives is the 1 your having trouble with a counter rotater?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yes I have twin drives,but I dont think its a counter rotation drive...

DSC02360.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I put it in that font because I read where some of the old timers were bitchin about long posts without paragraphs. I thought I would make it easier to read...

Ayuh,...All Us old farts ask for is the default font, with puncuation,+ paragraphs...
Like they do in magazines, newspapers,+ textbooks,.... Not like Texting....

If Everything was working Right up til you slid the drive On,....
I'd start lookin' There...

It sounds like the PO was less than a diligent Mechanic,... EVERYTHING is Suspect...
Like Jason's line says, Just because You're finding it that way, don't mean it's the Right way...
Pull the drive,+ Inspect EVERYTHING... There's a misalignment in there somewhere...

Btw,... Those are both righthanded...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

make sure the slide is not physically broken. Make sure its aligned of the shift levers bushing as you install the drive, sometimes they like to twist. Also make sure the shift slide cavity is not obstructed.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

OK I will try this again today...