no reverse on 40 hp johnson

claybuster1

Cadet
I have a 1993 40 hp johnson this weekend I was out on Fri and when I put it in reverse it seemed to skip ok kick Sat. it got worse but the end of the day it would not kick in much. When I had it on the trailer in drive it locked up in reverse it wanted to slip over any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: no reverse on 40 hp johnson

mis-adjusted or stretched shift cable.. disconnect shift cable at motor, try shifting, you have to turn prop to shift, if motor not running. also could be jammed control.

claybuster1

Cadet

Could it be something else I tried that and still wants to slip over and not lock in when you turn it over by hand it seems like it dose not want to lock in completly

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

verify what you mean by skip, kick, not mechanical terms.

claybuster1

Cadet

when I grab the prop and turn it by hand it locks up and tunrs the motor over by hand in drive but in reverse it starts to turn the acts like it slips out of gear and free spins then grabs again

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

when I grab the prop and turn it by hand it locks up and tunrs the motor over by hand in drive but in reverse it starts to turn the acts like it slips out of gear and free spins then grabs again

Is that with the shift cable disconnected?

If not, repeat with cable off.

If so, drain the lower unit oil and look for metallic debris (failing clutch dog)

claybuster1

Cadet

lower unit has not been off just drained lower unit and oil is milky but see no metal I changed lower unit oil about 8 wees ago. motor was running good drive and reverse till this weekend I only put about 10 hours since oil chainge. The power head was just replaced last year and motor has run great till now

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Mis-aligned or stretched cable or wornout clutch dog...

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Is there any chance that during re-assembly, the yoke pin (the external phillips head screw) was mis-aligned and did not go through the hole in the yoke inside?

claybuster1

Cadet

can you tell me where I can get a breakdown for the lower unit for this 1993 johnson 40 hp

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Here it is, if you want to lookup parts go to shop.evinrude.com

lowerunit.jpg