1973 glastron v173

thefred

Recruit
just bought this boat and know nothing about it,it`s real clean interior is in excellent shape it has a 50 hp evinrude which is a 1973 also starts and runs well goes in and out of drive and reverse.my question is about how fast will it go and how stable would it be to take on lake erie here in michigan,do they handle well

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 glastron v173

70s Glastrons were beautiful hulls with really sexy lines, that did handle well. Early Glaston did invent the deep vee hull and they were extensively copied.

HOWEVER: Yours is severely underpowered! It is most likely rated for 125 or slightly more. With the 50 it won't go more than about 20-25 MPH, and less if you are carrying a couple of people. And if you get into trouble on the big water, you will not have enough reserve power to stay out of trouble.

Want to know all about your boat? Go over to Classicglastron.com

As far as Erie-- That's a big water--17 footer--Good day, OK. Bad day? You will at least brown your pants but that hull will most likely get you home. Just be certain to always wear your PFD. Use the rule of threes for fuel: 1/3 out, 1/3 in, 1/3 reserve. Buy a hand held GPS and learn how to use it , especially waypoints and goto function -- Go too far and everything looks the same, even in sight of shore. GPS will get you back even if you don't know where you are (impossible with a GPS and charts, you always know where you are.)

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with Frank.

Our first boat was a 17 ft Glastron tri-hull--V187 Stinger I think. With a 135 Johnson, top speed was in the low thirties with three adults.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep it's underpowered in my opinion. I boat on Erie, Huron and Georgian Bay sometimes but mainly on Lake St Clair when I am at home. Check the weather forecast, get a marine radio (hand held is O.K.) and as suggested already a GPS.
The Great Lakes can get really ugly in a hurry for a boat that size. (I know because our boat is similar size) It can look fine from shore until you get out there.
Having a 140hp on ours I feel gives more flexibility for riding the tops of the waves when necessary and outrunning bad weather you can see coming at you.
Make sure you have all the safety gear and have fun.
Welcome to iboats

thefred

Recruit

thanks for all your replys guy`s yes i thought it was underpowered also but i got the whole package boat motor trailor orr`s everything you need to take it out all for $100 and alls it needs is a good wax job!!:D