Risky Pontoon Purchase?

nuboater

Seaman Apprentice
I had this on the mercury motor forum, but thought I might get more responses here.
I found a 2005 pontoon with a 2005 merc, 4 stroke,75HP motor that was used for one season to the tune of 8 hours and then placed in storage where it remains today. The storage is climate controlled and the boat looks like it should be on a showroom floor.
All that was done to the motor was the addition of stabl.
What I'm wondering from the experienced boaters here is what problems I might expect from the motor after this 3 year storage. I realize the ideal thing is to bring a marine mechanic with me, but this is out in the sticks making that difficult.
I could try to get the owner to have it evaluated, but I think he just wants to crank it up and possibly do a water test. If we do that and it fails, then the decision is easy, but if it seems to run OK, would you think we are out of the woods, or is there still a possiblity of future problems from the 3 year rest?
Thanks for the help.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Risky Pontoon Purchase?

Take it for a nice ride and if it runs ok I wouldn't worry about buying it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Do not attempt to run this boat with 3 year old gas. Drain it, or at least add 2/3 fresh and then do the on water test.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with the posts above. Put in fresh fuel, then give her a good water test of at least 30 minutes at varying speeds.

nuboater

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everybody.
I think I'll just say--Hey I'll meet you at waters edge ready for a serious test run and let him worry about what needs to be done before the test.
When that day comes, which may be a while, I'll probably need to ask about what I should be looking/listening for on the test float, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Thanks again for the help. This is a great forum!:cool:

Knightgang

Lieutenant

If she cranks and runs, no worries.

However, if you buy it, you will want to get all of the old gass out and put in fresh, you will also want to replace the impeller and change the LU oil...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the gas had stabil added it should be ok.(climate controlled storage)
I bought a Boat and 2 stroke motor that had been in un controlled storage for about 7 years.Stabil added etc.We did change the impeller, Cranked and ran fine all the first season.Haven't had occasion to use it since.

axfirdy

Recruit
Beware if purchasing a pontoon

Beware if purchasing a pontoon

Just a word of advice if considering a dry berth pontoon. So you don't get stung like I do please don't consider it binding if the company views your boat and spec sheets and describes how you wife will be able to launch and retreive the boat with ease. After attempts to construct the pontoon were made by one guy that 'I usually don't do these setups' and the other guy that 'usually just wraps pallets but is taking over for the usual guy that got his arm crunched' we decided it was time to retreive the boat. To keep a long story short....cause this story could go on quite long .....after some scary attemps, damage to my boat without any apology but to be told to leave my boat (now with a section of gelcoat blown out...possibly from the 2 rollers they CRUNCHED against my hull or mabey the others that split) with the promise they will return the following day with a solution. This promise was extended for the following day....then again....then until the following monday. When no arrival monday (after a weekend of repairs done to my hull at my cost) and the constant inability for anyone form the company to return my calls I resorted to threatening if I was not contacted to let me know what was happening that I would have to contact office of fair trading. The reply I finally got after no contact 4 days in a row was this email..-
The initial standard 2000kg roller system was purchased with the inclusion of clause 8.2 of the purchase agreement's terms and conditions which you have signed to indicate your acceptance thereof. This clause reads: ""the master of tides..as I will call them" does not warrant that the installed goods will be suitable for any particular use or any particular vessel.".
I called the man that came out and viewed the spec sheets and decribed the ease of their system to me but he explained to me that he has been instructed not to talk to me.

OK....ranting again.
Point form IMO is to ask BUT ensure it in writing

-company's responsibility to damaged occured to your boat at their fault
-get it in writing that if you buy a dry berth pontoon for your boat.....that the pontoon they build will be able to dry berth your boat
-that the company will build to australian standards
-what exactly you get down to the point (even those things that you think should be obviously included at no additional expence)....such as
---your pontoon will float somewhat level. At least to the point where the alloy frame is out of the water and there is no concern of leaning the pylons (I'm buying additional floatation from a competitor while I pay them to rectify other issues)
---the dredging to prepare the site and dig in the pylons may include preparing the area so the pontoon is not built on a mountain of sand which was difficult for the private dredging company I had to pay to dredge underneath to reduce the amount the pontoon leans to the deeper water when it sits on bottom at low tides possibly pulling the pylons over. Whoa...what a sentance!
---or mabey just simple things like when a winch thats rated to 250kg is doubled over to 500kg but a 320kg tow hook is used...that you don't have to go out yourself and replace it. Now I know i was told over and over how safe it was but when I was later told the first time I launched my boat (longer story to get to this point ) not to stop and start the winch on decent or stand behind the winch as if the hook gave way it would go through my head...my confidence dropped.
--and...I think I'm getting my point across.
Biggest lesson for me....being a trusting guy....don't part with your money even if demanded until EVERYTHING is done as promised. Yeah...not the brightest bulb am I....and mabey research my company better.
....and check everything and replace and fix as required once your fortunate enough to have finished dealing with the company...then get the major problems fixed professionally.
...AND....DON'T use the company that calls themselves the 'master of the tides'. You think you are saving yourself a thousand here...but it bites back hard later. The more I dug the more I realised I am far from their first victim.
I encourage if anyone has anything to add or personally know and would like the company to respond.
Merry Xmas
nhow-bring on the long hot summer days pushing through the warm colbolt waters

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Since this is a 4-stroke I would say to change the crankcase oil & filter as well before running it. This way you can have a look at the condition of the oil as it drains out. Watch for any water or other contaminants.

As for the gas, maybe it's still good after 3 years but then again maybe it's not. I wouldn't risk it. Just drain the tank and replace it with fresh gas before starting it.