Why use hooks on safety chain when towing?

kshelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need a quick education...why are safety chains on boats and other trailers simply hooks that attach to the loops on the hitch? My hooks are too small for my hitch so I simply removed the hooks, route the safety chain through the loops on the hitch, and install a bolt to secure the chains. I feel better knowing that the hooks can't fall off if the trailer pops off the ball, but I was wondering if I'm over-looking something obvious and compromising safety.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why use hooks on safety chain when towing?

AFAIK the hooks are mostly for convenience in attaching the safety chain because they allow you to cross the chain underneath the tongue (thus cradling the tongue if it does pop off the ball) more easily and quickly than threading it through the loops, etc. There's also less chance of having an improper length chain that kinks or something if you're having to thread or coil. That being said, I had setup similar to what you describe on an older, smaller boat I had. <br /><br />If it were me, I'd probably try to find the right size chains with hooks to make sure you're attaching it properly since they don't cost all that much anyway.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess that's ok as long as the bolt is strong enough to hold the tongue weight (plus some) ... I personally have never heard of the hooks coming undone under tow. I think part of the point is quick release if you really had to get the trailer disconnected quickly... but aside from an empty keg, I can't imagine any reason that you'd need the ultra-fast getaway!<br /><br /><br />Also.. I'm guessing that you had enough slack in the chains to not restrict turning...<br /><br />...Steve...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Big "S" hooks will do the job if correctly installed on the hitch. . . from the inside out.<br /><br />The diameter of the hook should be quite a bit larger than the diameter of the chain links.<br /><br />In a recent thread a poster complained that his "S" hooks straightened out when the ball came out. The chain should stretch and even break before the hooks straighten out or the hooks are too small.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

JB,<br /> Not sure what you mean by "inside out". Would you mind explaining further? Thanks.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I have to pipe in on this one.<br /><br />One morning a couple of years ago our trailer popped loose from our truck. Our boat is a 23' walkaround and it was fully loaded. We were on our way to the ramp for an offshore trip. The trailer/boat rig came in at over 8,000 pounds.<br /><br />When the hitch popped off the ball, which was entirely my fault by the way, we were leaving a traffic signal and making a right turn. I head a thunk, felt a jolt, looked in the mirror and saw the boat hull about to hit the tailgate of the truck. It missed by inches and the boat/trailer rolled to a rest right in the middle of the intersection (4-lane highway and the branch road I was entering it from). I backed the truck back up to it and we jacked it up and got it back on in record time and then pulled off in the first parking lot to survey the damage. Here is what I found. First, that the S-Hooks, which were quite heavy, were bent straight. Second that the 'emergency brake' lever had been fully activated and in fact was stuck in that position, but the brakes had not acculated at all (I would find out later that the seal had blown out of the master cylinder). The small S-hook that attached the acculating chain to the bumper was straightened out too, but at least it held on until it had done its job.<br /><br />So, now days I use shackels to hole my safety chains on. It takes a few minutes and they cost me a few bucks, but that's OK. I'll never have S-hooks again.<br /><br />Thom

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Good post Thom, and good advise. Nothing like personal experience to adjust ones way of doing things..

snowshoe

Seaman

In some provinces in Canada the S hooks are no longer accepted and you must use safety chains with full chain slip hooks with a safety tab to prevent the chain from falling out in travel. These safety tabs are light metal and cannot take any force.

livebait

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Erau85, your post gave me cause to think about something I have taken for granted for over 30 years. I have always used S-Hooks and never given a thought to how well they would perform if they were needed. Thom’s post brought it home that a backup system really is only as good as the weakest link. Thanks guys!<br /><br />Livebait

ndemge

Commander

last year had a '21 bow rider, 4500lbs ish...<br /><br />put on 2 6,000 lb chains, and 2 equal locking hasps to hook to the truck. didn't like the idea of hooks on such a big trailer.

gonefishie

Commander

BoatBuyo> I'm sure JB mean "inside out" as in put the hook onto the hitch loop from the bottom up but not on the top so the hooks won't pop off the loop when you go over bumps.<br /><br />Question for you guys with the trailer popped off the ball, did you guys have a safety pin or something of that source in place when this happen? If you did than I should rethink about this stuff.

18rabbit

Captain

“S” hooks are still required in some states. The hook must be installed from the bottom up and there must be a means of securing the “S” hook placement (like with one of those rubber bands on steroids) such that the hook cannot pop out. There is a limit to what any hook can hold. Any “S” hook that can be stretched straight by the load is inappropriately sized for the towed load and would have been a violation of towing laws in most if not all states. If you use the correct size “S” hook they are appropriate for securing the safety chain to the tow vehicle…within the weight limit of the hook.<br /><br />I used to have a website bookmarked that showed the trailering laws for all the states; sizes, weight limits, safety chains, load weight to chain and hook size, etc. Lost it, anyone else know?

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

18rabbit - Don't know if the below is what you had, but here's some info for all states :) :<br /><br />State Boat Trailer Requirements<br /><br />Also, not disputing the "S" hook orientation, especially since the USCG website :eek: below also says to install them with the top open side to the rear:<br /><br />Trailer Tips<br /><br />But can anyone explain the logic of doing that? Seems counter-intuitive in that pulling aft on the lower part of the "S" with the chains would seem to rotate the "S" toward the open end of the top of the "S", whereas putting the "S" hooks on with the top open end fwd would rotate them away from the open end should the chains pull. Not arguing the point, just trying to understand. TIA for the explanation :) .

doug9238

Cadet

To answer the original question, the S hooks are there for safety. They are not closed, becuase if the trailer were to hit something and flip, you would want it to be able to disconnect itself from the vehicle, rather than to flip the tow vehicle along with it.<br /><br />That has happened before too, and you should only use open-ended S hooks for trailer attachment.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

pchonda,<br />Not to digress from the original thread, but I too dont understand why they recommend attaching the hooks from the bottom up.<br /><br />I've tried both ways and for me, the best way is top down. Twice in the last year I had them hooked bottom up and had road debris strike the chains sending them above the height of the hitch. This caused the S hooks to "slide" off and become detached. Once I thought it was just a fluke, but the second time, I saw the debris, felt the strike then heard the chain dragging.<br />Not very fun!<br /><br />I'm planning to switch to shackles or closeable chain links in the very near future.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

gonefishie

Commander

Wow, flipping a trailer! If someone is doing that then they shouldn't be towing. When I'm in my car, I drive like a maniac but when I hop in the truck and take the boat out, I drive like a really old person.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I have always put the s hooks thru the loops on the hitch and put back into the chain. Figured this would suffice!

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I once had a 24' Stamas Sportfisherman come off the hitch while running about 65 mph on the interstate. When it slammed into the back of my truck I thought a gun had gone off in the cab. Trust me, this will get your undivided attention.<br /><br />The safety chains with "S" hooks held and did their job...the chains were crossed and hooked from the inside. About the third time it slammed into the truck, I was able to co-ordinate my braking with it and keep the trailer shoved up against my truck while I slowed down and eased off onto the shoulder. I have to say that while I was not happy with how the back of my truck looked, I was extremely grateful that it stayed connected to the truck. It was not hard to envision the whole thing plowing across the median into another vehicle.<br /><br />The Lesson: I thought that my hitch was tightly connected to the ball but here is what happened. That trailer had a screw down assembly that you tightened to attach to the ball....instead of the more common lever that is either up (loose) or down (tight). The threads on the screw were buggered up and it seemed to be tight when it was not. From that day on, whenever I hook up to a trailer of any sort, I get down and look up at the bottom of the hitch/ball assembly and make SURE that the lip on the hitch has come up under the ball & things cannot come undone. Not interested in relying on luck again.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi guys I have a friend that rolled Ford ranger pulling a 19foot bayliner,the truck was a total writeoff,the boat was upside down the S hooks held and the only damage to the boat was to the windshield and ladder in the back and two small holes in one side.Now after this ordeal can anyone still say that bayliners are built cheep.Great forum thanks guys for all the info. J,C.