changing selenoids to relays

FritoBandito

Seaman Apprentice
i just bpught a new trim motor. the new one that i bought came with a kit to use relays instead of the selenoids. i need help asap on what to do thanks. i have a mercury black max 200hp 1995 :confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: changing selenoids to relays

That kit should have come with a wiring diaghram. Perhaps you can get it off the kit manufacturer's website.

The only difference between solenoids and relays is that relays connect the secondary to ground when not energized. Sloenoids are open when not energized.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ok, What brand is the replacement PTT motor? How many connections on the relays?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You got the PT485 motor with the WH476 harness. Disconnect the battery, remove the trim solenoids, check to see if red wire on relay harness will reach main solenoid ,if so remove and discard red wire from main solenoid(starting) feeding the trim solenoids,remove the blue & green wires from trim solenoids,install the new relays to coil plate using old mounting holes and smaller bolts/nuts,install blue & green engine wire to the 14guage blue & green female connectors(you will need two male bullet connectors,do not crimp but solder to engine wires), install the large red wire with ring terminal to main solenoid(where you removed old feeder wire) remove old trim and install new one, plug the large bullet connectors(blue &green) into trims large female connectors and your done.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The PT476NMK-3 is for side fill units of the design I series using the 99186T motor, 1995 engines use design II style that are aft fill and used the 811628 motor. If yours is a aft fill you have wrong kit and need the PT485 which is direct bolt on no wiring mod's.

FritoBandito

Seaman Apprentice

the year of my engine was wrong. im having trouble by the way you explained me how to install the relays. explain it a little more detailed if you can thanks for your help