1957 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman

strosho21

Recruit
I have the pressurized fuel tank with the air line and fuel line that are connected. My question is, how do i get the two O rings out of the fuel line fitting so my connection wont leak. If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it!!!

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1957 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman

They can be very difficult to remove, especially if they have hardened over the years. Use a dental pick or a small eyeglass screwdriver to pick away at them. Try to push down on the center to get it out of the way while you're picking at the o-ring. Patience is a virtue so take your time. Seems someone on here designed a "tool" to ease the job. Maybe he will chime in.

kbait

Commander

I have the cure! (Get BRP replacements, not sierra o-rings, as the sierra are a bit oversized.)

Get a dental pick or 2 from the hardware store. Remove fuel connector from hose, get all fuel sources out of the work area and drain, blow out connector so it's dry. Light a candle, and heat the end of the dental pick. Quickly poke it into the o-ring. Your goal is to melt it through in that spot.. it may take a few heating/poking cycles to get through. Do the same thing to 3 other spots on the same o-ring to break it into manageable bits. Poke the plunger down w/a golf tee, or something non-metal, and pick the bits out.. maybe hold it upside down and shake. This is the only way I've found to get the old, rock-hard o-rings out of the connectors. It may take a while, but you'll get 'em out! Pinch the new o-ring and add a dab of grease to install. Should seat easily.
Good luck!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They can be very difficult to remove, especially if they have hardened over the years. Use a dental pick or a small eyeglass screwdriver to pick away at them. Try to push down on the center to get it out of the way while you're picking at the o-ring. Patience is a virtue so take your time. Seems someone on here designed a "tool" to ease the job. Maybe he will chime in.

I'm the guy. Better hurry, only a few left.
http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1256754675