Need help selecting engin

JTTTURNER

Recruit
I have an 1966 Larson 51613 and need a motor. I want something small, to putter around with my kids and go fishing. I won't be doing any skiing or the like, but I don't want it to take me all day getting where I'm going either. I simply have no frame of reference for how HP translates to moving my boat through the water. I'm also on a pretty tight budget. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Have a great day.

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Need help selecting engin

I have an 1966 Larson 51613 and need a motor. I want something small, to putter around with my kids and go fishing. I won't be doing any skiing or the like, but I don't want it to take me all day getting where I'm going either. I simply have no frame of reference for how HP translates to moving my boat through the water. I'm also on a pretty tight budget. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Have a great day.

I sure dunno what a "51613" is, (with only one functional brain cell n' all).

Best discribe the style ie: semi v; fiberglass; hull length; rated power level,etc.

Is the boat set up fer a tiller steered engine or does it have a wheel on the bow/consul?

Me thinks Kalifornia requires 4-pokes if yer plannin' ta boat there so yer gonna need a full wallet if that is the case.

Hope that helps ya get the info yer lookin' fer. Good luck, JR

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You need to post your boats length, material it is made from and if there is an information plate installed the maximum HP and load rating.
We can all go from there.
Welcome to iboats

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

It's a 16 Ft fiberglass Runabout rated 100 HP, 1840 lbs, people, motor, gear

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would not go below 70hp. Should give you adequate performance and the flexibility to tube and ski while having the ability to troll a little. Any less and you will wish you got bigger in a short space of time. (when it's too late)

wa2712nj

Cadet

If it is rated for 100hp he may have a problem living in California.

That boat was built before 4 strokes were thought of (in outboards). It may not be setup to take the extra weight on the transom. A buddy of mine and I were looking to repower a boat that size last year and ran into that issue - a 4 stroke in that size was going to weight 100 pounds more than what a 2 stroke would. We were probably going to have to relocate the fuel tank, battery, and anything else forward to make it work. Right now the boat is sitting and may never get on the water again...

Check your California regs, figure out how restricted you would be operating with a 2 stroke, then make your best educated guess as to how much worse it will get in the next 5 or 10 years. It may be that used 2 strokes will be so much cheaper that even if you think it might get you banned from most waterways 3 years from now, it is still worth it to go that route. My experience is that you will have a very difficult time finding a used 4 stroke in that size for < $5k, but used 2 strokes will be plentiful.

Good luck,

-dm

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

HOLD ON!!!
JTTTURNER was the original poster, this is his first post, how do you know his boat is a
"It's a 16 Ft fiberglass Runabout rated 100 HP, 1840 lbs, people, motor, gear".?? it sounds like someone in hijacking this thread. if so please start your own thread.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

TD, i would assume thet jevery just looked up what a Larson 51613 is.......

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

HOLD ON!!!
JTTTURNER was the original poster, this is his first post, how do you know his boat is a
"It's a 16 Ft fiberglass Runabout rated 100 HP, 1840 lbs, people, motor, gear".?? it sounds like someone in hijacking this thread. if so please start your own thread.

Only trying to help. I enjoy research.

21c6d758.jpg

5ead6e7c.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

70 HP is what will give minimum performance on a 100hp rated boat.

good job jevery, just looked like we were getting mixed info.