Intake Manifold Thermostat Deformed.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
After removing the thermostat housing I found this after cleaning a bit...

IMG_0696.jpg

There was a VERY small drip (never a puddle) near the dip there.

How the heck did the hole bend like that?

Is this fixable or do I need a new intake manifold?

Will JB Weld work here?

thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intake Manifold Thermostat Deformed.

Looks to me like someone overheated it with a torch and melted it. Is the manifold aluminum?

lmannyr

Yes....Aluminum...Says Marine Power it.

Don S

Yeah, I agree with bondo on needing a new manifold. It has a copper sleeve for the thermostat to sit in, I have to assume your thermostat housing has the thermostat in it, as the stat will not sit in that manifold anymore.
If you do have the stat in the upper housing, you might try JB weld. Why not, eveyone likes to use it on blocks. Personally, I wouldn't try it, but I wouldn't JB weld a block either.

lmannyr

DAM....Well thank you for the help so far Don and Bond-o.

I would prefer a new manifold but can't find the part number on the intake. Found only Marine power. Will any chevy v8 intake manifold be a direct replacement. I can do the work, I just suck at loooking for this type of stuff if I don't have exact part numbers. The aftermarket for this engine is HUGE!

Is there anything "Marine" specific to the intake?

PS....I may try JB WELD.....I don't know....I'm on the fence right now.

lmannyr

Yes...the thermostat is housed in the thermostat housing.

Bondo

Staff member

I just suck at loooking for this type of stuff if I don't have exact part numbers. The aftermarket for this engine is HUGE!

Ayuh,... And it appears your motor is more Aftermarket than stock...

As I noted before, The Holley carb is not a Merc item.... Aftermarket is your Only choice here...

Don S

If you are boating in salt water with a raw water cooled system, I would avoid an aluminum intake altogether.
The manifolds aren't marine specific, just carb specific. Plus you have to get a manifold with the proper bolt pattern and angle.
Since you have a Holley carb, (sorry to hear that) you need to find a manifold that also will accept a Holley carb.
Why don't you just call marine power and ask them, not everything can be done "On Line"

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....and I'd be extremely interested in seeing the other side of that 'stat housing. From the looks of the bolt holes and the localized discoloration, I would guess someone got a little too anxious with a tourch trying to get the seized housing apart.
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

lmannyr

The thermostat housing is actually intact. No idea what they did... Unless thermostat housing is a replacement.... Who knows. For my first boat, I'm really learning a lot on what to look for in my next boat.

Don S

The thermostat housings are cast iron, not aluminum like your manifold. The aluminum will melt away before the cast will turn red.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look very closely to the left of the bolt hole and you will see what looks like a crack. The area to the right of the bolt hole looks like an attempt was made to use "alumaweld" to repair what may have been a crack and got things too hot. Yes -- you need a new manifold.

lmannyr

Silvertip,

That was the scrapings of the hole accumulated on the paint.

So I filled the hole with JB WELD and used the Red Gasket tube plus the corklike gasket that came with the thermostat. NO LEAKS!! Ran Engine for 15 min at about 900 rpm.

Hot water heater still not hot though.

Thanks for the tips and help. Going out this weekend, I'll post an update after.