Buying used 50HP Honda 4 Stroke

Homosassa

Cadet
Thinking about buying a used 1997 50HP 4 stroke. Seller says it just needs carb work, water pump, and new seals in the lower unit. 800 hours. Asking price is $1500 and includes controls. Seller says it will run but for some reason it is not in position to start right now, not on a stand or something(smells fishy). If this thing is laying on its side, what needs to be done before starting. If I can't a least turn it over and check compression I don't think I'll bother. I am going to check it out because it sounds like a good price, but what are more specific things to look for. Thanks, in advance for your help.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Buying used 50HP Honda 4 Stroke

Sometimes a good price is just to good,don't bend over to far!!!!

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya ....for sure check it out ... I WOULD NEVER BUY A USED ENGINE WITHOUT SEEING IT RUN............. nothing special to do before you get it started ...... if it won't start , depends on how far you want to mess with it ..... if it will start, get it warmed up then do a compression test.

Ya ...the price seems good ....maybe a bit too good ....:D

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I personally would not buy the motor unless I could do at a minimum a compression check. Bring along your own battery in case the seller does not have one. If the seller will let you, remove the lower unit drain screw and check the condition of the oil. There is a drain screw for each carburetor. Open them up and see what comes out. If this motor is coming from the Homosassa area, check the lower unit carefully. The shallow water and rocks there are a major killer of lower units. While you are spinning the prop by hand, ask the seller to put it in gear (forward and then do reverse). When in gear, it will be very difficult to spin the prop except for except for 30 or so degrees back and forth.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

one thing you MUST check as those motors are prone to do it - check for lower unit cracks in front of the prop...corrosion builds up between the bearing carrier retaining ring and the gearcase housing and when enough corrosion is built up - it cracks the case :cool:

Homosassa

Cadet

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am going to see this motor on Monday. Yeah, am well acquainted with the rocks of Homosassa but this motor is further south of Tampa Bay. By all means, keep any helpful hints coming and I will report back after my visit. Thanks.