2007 60 ELPT relays

DDaut

Recruit
I have a 2007 60HP 4 stroke; the motor trimmed up but would not go down. I narrowed it to a relay. I could hear it clicking but no movement. There are 3 identical relays bolted to the back of the motor. The bottom one was bad I assume this is the down relay for the trim. I swapped it with the middle one and it didn't fix anything. So I swapped it with the top one and now the motor works fine trimming up and down. Can someone tell me what the three relays are for? I think the middle one it the trim up and the bottom one it the trim down. I'm not sure what the top relay is for. I haven't had time to start the motor to see if anything is messed up yet.

Thanks Dwight

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 60 ELPT relays

A little swag here; course I could go out and get the service manual for my '02 90 hp 2 stroke, but the 3 major powered functions you have are starting, trim up and trim down; hence 3 relays.

The trim pump operates off a dc motor. Reversing the direction of the dc current flowing thru the motor causes the pump to reverse. One direction it pushes fluid into the lift piston to raise and the other direction is sucks it out allowing you to lower.

If you swapped those relays and got it to work with everything else equal, I'd say that the internal contacts (high current) of the one that quit working are pitted and it is time for a change.

Butttttt, I am a bit confused with my answer as you would expect the opposite problem since to raise you are going against gravity (for tilting) and for trimming you are going against the thrust of the prop both of which require more current, hence more wear on the contacts.

Possibly, you don't have a relay problem at all. Possibly your contacts were dirty and in the swapping process you cleaned them up and they make good contact now. Nothing else makes sense....for what I know about it from here.

Mark