Submersible lights…

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
How can I tell if the ones on my trailer are, and if not what will happen if I back them in without unplugging?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Submersible lights…

Don't know how you can tell for sure. What do they look like?<br />Do you think the bulb will stay dry if you back it in?<br />Will the bulbs be hidden up inside a pocket of air?<br /><br />I never unplug the lights, and have backed a dozen trailers into the water, snowmobile trailers, utility trailers, and boat trailers, never had a problem. The killer for me has been driving on very rough gravel roads.<br /><br />Some people say you will blow fuses if you back in with the lights hooked up, but I never have.

jajeeper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do the same thing...never unplug...and have never experienced any problems.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think the problem is so much burning out bulbs as it is getting the bulb seats and wiring wet which is a catalyst to then rusting out over a period of time without adequate preventative maintenance. This becomes more apparent in saltwater.<br /><br />I especially like to have my lights on when loading my trailer at night so that I can line up and guide my boat onto the trailer much easier than going by guesswork.<br /><br />Routinely removing the lens covers and coating the seats and any exposed wires with a light coat of marine grease will keep you in shape to keep dunking your trailer with the lights plugged in.

ndemge

Commander

I was under the impression that one main reason not to dunk was cold water hitting and breaking the bulb.<br /><br />I usually unplug, but sometimes forget (haven't broken a bulb yet)

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe, why are you putting a snowmobile trailer into the water? They usually work best on snow... :D As for the trailer lights, I always unplug them before hand.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Put a 7 x 10' snowmobile trailer in the water to make loading the pier easier. This way, we could float it part way on.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

To tell if you've got the truly submersible lights you have to look inside the outer red lens. If you see that the bulbs are encased in an inner clear module, then you've likely got the true submersible lights where the bulbs are sealed inside that clear module. (Don't try to take the bulbs out of the clear module or you'll destroy its watertight integrity.) If the bulbs are just sitting in their sockets like in your car, then you do not have the truly submersible lights, but probably the kind that depend on having a pocket of air at the top to keep the bulbs dry.<br /><br />The bulbs popping on contact with water is a function of how hot the bulbs are, so it doesn't happen all the time. In most cases they won't since the time spent setting up the boat prior to launch is enough for them to cool somewhat. What does happen, especially in saltwater, is that the connections in the air pocket type lights eventually corrode to the point where there is no contact and the lights quit. The sockets also get so corroded that you can't get the bulb out if you ever need to. The true submersible lights keep that from happening, with the only drawback being that you have to replace the whole inner module if one bulb eventually does burn out. And the true submersible lights, having a separate sealed inner module, are also less prone to hot bulb popping, but unless you need the lights to see by, it's not hard to disconnect them when prepping for launch.<br /><br />Supposedly LED lights are the best of both worlds, sealed so no corrosion, and no heat so no popping.

Bondo

Staff member

Put LED lights on......<br />You Won't have to Worry about Bulbs Again.........<br />Just the Wiring Rotting Off.......

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My lights are up on the guide-ons; they never get close to the water. And very handy for loading at night.

Hickpoppy

Cadet

PCHonda,<br /><br />I have the clear module inside of the red lenses and all they have area foam roof that the plastic housing seals against. They don't work. Put them on the trailer and the clear lenses were partially filled with water.<br /><br />Can anybody tell me a brand/type of trailer light that is actually waterproof?

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats a good idea Roscoe! Beats trying to get a bunch of people to carry it into the water!

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hickpoppy - Guess the manufacturers have different ways of making the lights look waterproof. They're trying to fool us if they're sticking a plastic lens up against a foam tape and calling it submersible :rolleyes: . The modules I'm talking about are clear plastic on a hard black plastic back, and the seam between the clear and black plastic is welded together so it's truly watertight, hence submersible.<br /><br />Here's a link to submersible lights available right here on iBoats. I know these're truly submersible, 'cause I've been dunking them in the ocean for over 5 years. There are also submersible LED lights on iBoats, but I've no personal experience with 'em, but others like 'em, see above.<br /><br />Known Submersible Lights<br /><br />Alternatives to submersible lights are to take 'em off before launching, or mount 'em high, as jtexas does. My side guides don't go high enough and taking 'em off is too much humbug, so the submersible ones work for me :cool: .

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have the same type of encased bulbs that PCHONDA describes. He is correct about both the advantages and disadvantages of the setup.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Hickpoppy:<br /> Can anybody tell me a brand/type of trailer light that is actually waterproof?
the wesbar ones linked above are what I have on my trailer and I like them really well. they actually seem to be the *only* things on my trailer that work reliably.

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the wesbar and they are submersible, great lights, problem is the replacement cost for burnt bulb. Best Price I found is $8.75. The whole light assy is under $15. I opted to jump in and put LED submersables on. Optronics for $24 a piece. Now that seems like a lot, but they have a life time warrenty and LED's will outlast any Bulb, and they look COOLERRRRRRR. So in the long run it should be cheaper. By the way the trailer was only 6 months old when the bulb went.<br /><br />JK