Help Identify correct components via pictures

Dui

Seaman
First, the happy new boat owners as of July this year...first boat.
Couple of questions to help me to get ready for winterization next year...
Second picture: Draining the manifold. I don't see the drain valve. Do I have to unclamp the hose? Which one, horizontal one (top of picture) and poke with a wire around the 90 degree elbow?
Draining the engine block. The smaller hose off the block. I see no clamp, do you just pull off the hose or remove the nipple?

Third Picture: Is this the power steering cooler? This requires draining by unclamping ?

4th Picture: Do you see a fuel cooler here (black casing)? Is the Check valve the black oval device?

Thanks in advance. Manuals 31 and 14 have been a great help. 31 however is for year 2001 and my engine is 2008. Not sure is there is any significant difference.

Dui

Attachments

• IMG00170-20091010-1536.jpg
    IMG00170-20091010-1536.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00148-20091121-1452-1.jpg
    IMG00148-20091121-1452-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00142-20091121-1444.jpg
    IMG00142-20091121-1444.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00188-20091122-1055.jpg
    IMG00188-20091122-1055.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0

cruisewave

Cadet
Re: Help Identify correct components via pictures

Take a picture of the front of the engine for me you might have a drain system on your engine which will make it very easy for you to drain everything at the same time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at your Mercruizer owners manual. It should show all the drain plugs and their location and describe to procedures.

Dui

Seaman

I know I have the single point manual drain system . However, I have learned from this site that not many trust this system to drain as debris can plug the block drain or the manifold drain. If this is the case, and given the pictures of the manifold and block drain, if I want to ensure these areas drain, what are my options?
I have read the manual and they show drain ports on the manifold and block drain. I clearly don't have those...only the single point drain system.

I also need help identifying the fuel cooler. Is that it in pic 3?
Thanks

Don S

With a single point drain, you can't just pull some plugs and be done. they aren't plumbed that way.
Might go up to the Adults only sticky and download manual 37. I have no idea if it's the same as your 2008 or not, I've never seen a 2008. Since I put all the info together up there, I know that nothing there is for the 2008 engines specifically because I have no idea what Merc uses for manuals.

Bondo

Staff member

what are my options?

Ayuh,.. If it were Mine,...I'd pull that whole single point Off,+ go back with brass Drain Plugs...

I haven't seen a motor that new either, so helping you identify the pieces is kinda tough...Short of crawling all over it...

Dui

Seaman

Bond-0 and Don, thanks for your reply. I downloaded manual 37 and from the number of pictures I have taken I think its the same set up. The water flow diagram on manual 37 page 10A-2 is the same as the one from manual 31 on page 6B-8. I believe from what I see (no expert) in the pic is a fuel cooler.
I agree replacing with Brass plugs is the way to go but why would I get rid of the single drain system? Could I not replace the manifold drain with a T-drain which would allow me to drain and probe for debris? Same with block drain...

Seeing that the p/s cooler is horizontal would I not have to drain it by unclamping and filling it with AF or ensure air dry?

Thanks

Don S

On page 10A-2 of manual 37, item d is the fuel cooler.
The reason you would want to remove the single point drain system is because it gives you a false sence of security.
I you can't trust it to not clog somewhere, why keep it? Extra Tee's and drain valves make it even more cluttered to work on.
I usually just change the mounting of horizontal coolers, no matter what they are on. Just angle them a little one way or the other, then you just have to pull off a hose on the low side to drain. Every drop doesn't have to be out, only enough to prevent expansion and damage from the ice that could form.