Chine-walking,??????

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Brushing up on my boating terminology.

What the heck is chine-walking??:confused:

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Chine-walking,??????

Its when you are going fast, really fast in racing boats. And the boat starts bouncing from side to side. If you ahve watched off shore racing boats they will do it every once in a while. It doesnt look to fun to me.
My little boat will do it over 35 MPH if its not balanced just perfect, or i hit a really small wave. But it just flopps over on one side and stays there until you slow down, and you better slow down fairly quickly, as it will get progressively worse.

EsoxRanger

Seaman

Higher performance hulls such as pad vee designs are essentially balanced on a very small portion of the hull when up on pad and trimmed out. CHine walking can happen for a number of reasons, but it is essentially when the boat loses equilibrium and falls off to one side, then the other etc. it can get progressively worse without proper input to stop it, either by trimming down, proper counter steering, throttling back or sometimes throttling up, or some combination of of the above.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... And if you're runnin' an ole V-hull with Way tooo big a motor on it,...
When you get it Realllllly Hung out there, it'll start diving port, then starboard, etc, etc, etc...
Each bounce more Violent than the last,..... That's Chine-Walking...
'n No,... It ain't no Fun,... It'll give you a Pucker that'll choke off,+ kill a hemorrhoid in a hurry..

SuperNova

Lieutenant

1-The second video the boatis running a heck of a lot faster than the first one

2-If there is any chine walk there it seems pretty minimal in both cases.

Like Bond-o said, real chinewalk is VERY violent and has major pucker factor. I searched youtube and couldn't find any really good examples of it. Most of ones I saw are pretty tame compared to how bad it can get.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I see what its about now. Thanks for the video links, really puts in prospective.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

This looks like chine walking out of control, thank God for life jackets and kill switches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI
I saw that one too. That's just stupidity. The whole time I was watching before he crashed, I was just waiting for something stupid to happen. I first thought he was gonna crash into one of the pilings early in the clip, but what he ended up doing was even dumber. But no, that's not really chine walk.

Bondo

Staff member

But no, that's not really chine walk.

Ayuh,... Chine Walking is sorta like that, only on glass/ light chop, Well Away from channels,+ other boats...
No wakes necessary....

I've seen that vid before,.... Even the 1st time, I could see it coming as a Really Stupid move...
Matter of fact, the whole vid was a display of Moronic behavior...
The guy was gettin' it hung out there pretty good,.... That's Not a time to be lookin' for rough water....
I hope he got the Thrill he was lookin' for....