Replacing Lower Unit on 98 Yamaha 60hp

Jeffro1970

Recruit
I replaced the impeller on my 98 yamaha 2 stroke 60 hp with no trouble. i dropped the lower unit with the motor in neutral and when i replaced the unit, the gears are not right. it is in gear when the shifter is in neutral. any tips on how to line up the shaft so it is in the correct gear?

any help is appreciated!

Jeff

zebu14

Cadet
Re: Replacing Lower Unit on 98 Yamaha 60hp

The is a simple solution ton ensure that the neutral point is respected.

when you drop the lower unit you can turn the propeller with your hand to ensure that there is no gear.
If you heard some "clicks" and if youre propeller doesn't turn free then there is a gear.
You can use a pair of pliers to turn the gear pin as there is no longer the gear.

Place your gear command on your boat at the neutral point and replace the lower unit but ensure that the pin connects into the hole because sometimes the pin is placed just next to the hole on the upper unit and not right in the hole.

Is that clear ?

Jeffro1970

Recruit

where is the gear pin exactly? Is it on the upper unit? the propeller is definitely clicking.

robert graham

Admiral

It's the splined shaft in front of the water pump when you have the lower unit off. Some folks mark that shifter shaft with a magic marker upon removal to ensure that it doesn't move while working on lower end. Wrap a rag around the splines to protect them and turn shaft with pliers to locate neutral so prop rotates freely, put remote control handle also in neutral and reassemble. Good Luck!