2 boats, 2 trailors, how can i switch?

merc_500

Seaman
I have a boat on a good trailor and a boat i'm going to be using on a crappy trailor. <br /><br />I want to put our good boat on the good trailor. <br /><br />Problem is both boats are on there trailors, and both are out of the water. <br /><br />I have lots of yard room to do this. How hard is it going to be? <br /><br />Both boats are about 15-16' and rather light. One is a sailboat and the other is a fibreglass boat with a 40HP Johnson. <br /><br />Both trailors are tilt with full rollers. <br /><br />Can i tilt one trailor, push the boat back until it touches the ground, and then slowly pull the trailor out from underneath it with the car, do that with the other trailor, and then tilt the trailor, put it near the front of the boat, and use the crank and crank it up onto the trailor using the trailors rollers? <br /><br />Will this work? Or will it be way to hard? I would like to know for this Sunday, so the sooner the reply the better! Thanks guys.

Jilly - 5

Seaman
Re: 2 boats, 2 trailors, how can i switch?

You've got the right idea, but block each boat under its bow as you slide it off it's respective trailer. These "bow-up" positions will facilitate cranking each boat onto its new trailer.

BillP

Captain

This is a simple operation with tilt trailers. You may have to fiddle with the tilt angle to make it go smoothly. All the way down usually doesn't work for me. Let them tilt and unload the boats on the ground by driving the car away. Then winch the boats back on the trailer. Be careful so it the boat doesn't slam down. I've done this many times on boats between 14' & 21' and one of the reasons I like tilts. Just watch your rear wood bunk when doing this so they don't get busted. Sometimes you have to keep the boat on the winch and let it down easily.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are braver :D than me to be unloading your boats off your trailers onto the ground :eek: ! I'd just get a friend to help tow both boats to the ramp, launch 'em then put each back onto the other's trailer :cool: . Good luck.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

pchonda's got it...launch...go for a putt and a sail...reload...mission accomplished.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Merc500 - You got an easy job on your hands. Place cement blocks under the transom on each side, and if the boat is real light have someone carry the bow until you pull the trailer out and can block the bow. Alternatively, if your motor will tilt up all the way, you can just gently drop the boat on the ground. Tie the transom to a tree or something, lift the tongue of the trailer and use the winch to slowly lower the boat to the ground, while pulling on the trailer.

merc_500

Seaman

alright guys i think i'll give it a shot! wish me luck,.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

biggest problem I think you would have is getting the front of the boats back up onto the trailer to crank them back on the new trailers. It would be nice to do it at home though since you are gonna have to readjust the bunks and stuff you will have all the time in the world at home.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Formula1974:<br /> biggest problem I think you would have is getting the front of the boats back up onto the trailer to crank them back on the new trailers. It would be nice to do it at home though since you are gonna have to readjust the bunks and stuff you will have all the time in the world at home.
The tilt lets the back of the frame sit on top of the ground...then the center roller is only a few inches up for the bow to reach. Sometimes it is easier to winch the trailer BACK under the boat to get it started on the roller, then hook the trailer up to the hitch. I've done 3500lb boats this way and the sensitive part is when the bow is pointed skyward and wants to slam down. Best way I know is to pull it down before that happens. Then lock the tilt down and winch up to the snubber. It sounds worse than reality.