89 Evinrude 200 - No Reverse / Grinding into Gear

Jay23

Cadet
The last few trips my reverse has been grinding into to gear really bad, and the most recent trip I couldnt shift into reverse at all even when I stabbed it. The motor would just rev and make an awful noise like teeth slipping. Forward gear works perfect.
I changed the lower unit oil to check for any damage this evening. I was thinking since I just recently installed the motor maybe one of the throttle cables is loose or not adjust correctly?? Here's some pics of of the lower unit magnets. Do the metal shavings look excessive or is this normal?

PB241025.jpg

PB241018.jpg

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 Evinrude 200 - No Reverse / Grinding into Gear

PLEASE, for the love of Moby, Please stop grinding those gears!

It made me cringe to just read about it.

Yes, an out of adjustment cable can cause this. Also if you have to much slack in your shift cable or if your motors shift rod is out of adjustment can cause it too.
Usually if I am putting a shift cable on a motor I just shift the box into N, and the motor into N.
Slip the cable into place and you're usually fine.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Is this the first lower unit oil change you have done on this motor? I am assuming you just got the motor before you installed it on this boat. If not, how well did the lower unit shift on the last boat?

Jay23

Cadet

PLEASE, for the love of Moby, Please stop grinding those gears!

It made me cringe to just read about it.

Yes, an out of adjustment cable can cause this. Also if you have to much slack in your shift cable or if your motors shift rod is out of adjustment can cause it too.
Usually if I am putting a shift cable on a motor I just shift the box into N, and the motor into N.
Slip the cable into place and you're usually fine.

Ive only had it out 3 times and every time it grinded i shifted right back to neutral. I HATE that noise also. I havent tried to fix it yet just wanted to be pointed in the right direction. I will try to adjust the shift cable tommorow.

This is the first time I have changed the lower unit oil, but I had a new water pump put it in about 2 months ago before I ever took the boat out.

jonesg

Admiral

Ive only had it out 3 times and every time it grinded i shifted right back to neutral. I HATE that noise also. I havent tried to fix it yet just wanted to be pointed in the right direction. I will try to adjust the shift cable tommorow.

This is the first time I have changed the lower unit oil, but I had a new water pump put it in about 2 months ago before I ever took the boat out.

So its new to you then and its never shifted correctly since you owned it?

who did the water pump?

Its very easy to get the shift rod height out of adjustment when doing the pump if you start twiddling with it.

(disconnect battery)...
Disconnect the shift cables and try shifting manually, turn prop as you shift, if thats not the problem then you will drop the foot and measure the shift rod height. If manual shifting is good then re-rig and try again .
Get the factory service book for proper rigging proceedure.
www.outboardbooks.com