1990 Evinrude XP150 Tilt / Trim problems

spinabait

Recruit
Hey guys I have a two part question.

1990 Evinrude XP150

1. Trim motor is continuously running. I hooked up my battery charger and the trim motor started running on it's own, but the motor wasn't moving. So I unhooked my charger and it continued to run. The trim motor would run for about 5 seconds and then stop for about 5 seconds repeatedly. The only way I was able to get the motor to stop doing this, was to remove the two relay boxes.

2. Motor will not trim under load, Out of the water or just sitting in the water at idle, it trims up and down fine, but when going to plane out it trims down on it's own and will not trim up.

If you guys can point me in the right direction with this it will be greatly appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude XP150 Tilt / Trim problems

Check the trim switches first. The factory put two in your trim system, one on the throttle handle, one on the cowling of the engine. Either of them could fail (stuck closed) due to age or water ingestion, shorting them out. Disconnect each one at a time, and see what happens. Disconnect the throttle handle one with the pigtail connection by the throttle handle, the cowling one has quick disconnects by the switch. Also- some bass boats come factory pre-rigged with a third trim switch up in the bow of the boat. If yours is like that, then check that switch also. Also possible that you may have a problem with the two trim relays in the control box at the rear of the engine. One relay controls the up, the other controls down. They are interchangeable and you should swap them and see if anything changes. If you find one is bad, best to do them in pairs and keep the good one as a spare.

spinabait

Recruit

Thanks, I will give what you suggested a try. Hopefully it's as simple as a bad switch or relay.

spinabait

Recruit

Trim switch at the bow seemed to be the problem. Have gotten a lot of rain here recently, and must have gotten moisture in the switch.

Thanks for your help.