Tandem axle brake location?

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I never saw this before but my 1978 EZ Loader tandem axle trailer has the brakes located on the rear axle, not the front where I thought they belonged. It looks all original but, who knows? They seem to work fine, saw smoke back there once in an emergency stop. But, I would think I would have got more stopping power if they were on the front axle where I think they are supposed to be. I think I should put them on the front axle, what do you think? And while we're at it here would there be any wisdom in just adding a second set of brakes to the front axle instead of just moving the rear ones to the front axle? Seems like 4 wheel brakes would be better? Sometimes I need all the brakes I can muster when towing with my old 1978 dinosaur of a motor home. It can hardly stop itself. The motor home is only 20 feet & the boat is 22 feet. The tail may be wagging the dog here.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Tandem axle brake location?

Interesting! My '78 tandem had the brakes on the rear axle also. Like you, I believed they should be on the front so I changed them - not a big job. Its been a couple of years now and in all honesty I haven't noticed any difference in braking performance.<br /><br />Aldo

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Brakes on my custom built Tandem are on the front axle, I'v seen them on the rear axle also and both axles too, adding another set to the front could only be a bonus.

Alcoff95

Recruit

I have read that due to the way the equilizer works on the suspension, the brakes should be on the rear axle. Both of the tandems that I have owned have had the brakes on the front axle.<br /><br />I would think that having brakes on both axles could be a problem in a panic stop situation, especially if the roadway is slick. If both axles lock up, it could cause a jackknife.<br /><br />Just my $.02