Won't Start No Spark

bleevan

Recruit
I have a 1979 In-line 6 Mercury Outboard Serial #5161395. It would not start last year because of no spark, so I took it to a local repair shop and he said it needed a stator. So this year I put a new stator in it and I still have no spark. I have tested the two leads on the stator with a volt meter and get a reading of .3-.4 on a 200 OHM scale. My battery is fully charged and I?m getting over 9.5 volts while cranking.

On the switchbox at the white wire labeled White Trigger I?m getting 12.5 volts with the key on, at the brown wire labeled Brown Trigger I?m getting 12.5 volts, and at the black wire and at the white wire I?m getting no voltage with the key on. I have included some photos of my engine to help.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dist.jpg
    Dist.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Won't Start No Spark

That motor originally had a Mercury switchbox driven by +12V from the battery. The stator had nothing to do with driving the ignition. The original Merc switchbox had a constant connection to the battery (red wire) and the white wire was +12V from the ignition switch. Both sources of voltage were needed for the switchbox to produce spark.

You have a replacement switchbox from CDI, I therfore recommend you download the installation instructions and check the wiring and function. I would have thought the CDI replacement would have had the same form, fit and function as the original Merc Switchbox, however, that CDI Switchbox is a bit different.