Shortening boat Trailer

pjm3711

Cadet
I have an aluminum boat trailer that has 2 5" I-Beams running from the back of the boat then bending in to attach to a 3x3 square tube (steel) on which is attached the ball hitch. Even with a swing hinge, the trailer is too long to fit in my garage. I want to cut the two i-beams about 15" back from where they attach to the square tube. I will reconnect them by installing 30" pieces of aluminum channel in each side of the i-beams. I will effectively be sandwiching the beams with 15" of channel on each side of the cut and on both sides of each beam. The thickness of the channel is the same as the i-beams so the finished product will be twice the thickness of the original beams for 30 " along their length. The tung weight at the cut point is about 150lbs due to the fact that it has tandem axles and is well balanced. The only force on this joint should therefore be in the horizontal plane in pulling and stopping. I plan to bolt everything together (no welding) Any comments or suggestions?

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Shortening boat Trailer

Not sure I totally understand how you are reconnecting the beams...

Pictures and or a diagram would be helpful...

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of boat do you have?

What size motor is on the transom?

Is said motor removable?

How much too long is the trailer tounge, can removing the motor compensate for this overlength?

I highly recommend that you not cut and weld that joint. If you want to remove length from a trailer do so behind that joint. Do it with a Z-notch and be sure to fish mouth flat steel to both sides of the Z-notch. Remember that any modification you do to the trailer will void all waranties on said product if new and still under warranty.

pjm3711

Cadet

OK I'll try to get photos tomorrow. Boat is an inboard and trust me I have considered every option possible before coming to this conclusion. Idea is to sandwich the cut i-beams back together with fish mounted channel on either side of the beams. Plates will be bolted in place - no welding. What is a z-notch.
No warrenties now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So ......, you are going to shorten the trailer under the boat, but the bow stop will remain in the same position?

So how does shortening the trailer under the boat, make the distance from the front of the trailer to the rear of the prop any shorter?

And won't this make the boat hang further off the back of the trailer?

Easier to build a doghouse (4'w x 6'h addition) on the backside of the garage, to house the outdrive or outboard. My neighbor had to do this to get his Lincoln Marc V in his garage. Why are they making garages so small these days?

pjm3711

Cadet

Ok got pics will send shortly. Shortening the trailer means that the whole front of the trailer is unbolted and comes off for the winter. In the spring we bolt it back on ans away we go. So in storage, the trailer is actually shorter than the boat. As far as the doghouse goes, the back wall is 8" concrete with conduit imbedded carrying 2 200amp power services. As I said, I have explored all options before coming to thid decision. And yes, trailer already has a folding tounge.(Doesnt Help)

pjm3711

Cadet

Ok: Got some pics but cant just attach so what do I do?

pjm3711

Cadet

So now looking at pictures, cut two i-beams at pencil line. Unbolt U-bolt at end of 3x3 tubing and remove whole front end of trailer including winch and front wheel. Store for winter. Come spring splice trailer back together by sandwiching each of the i-beams with two 30" pieces of channel one on each side of each beam bolted through the I-beam web on each side of the cut point. Reconnect
the 3x3 tubing with u-bolt and trailer is exactly the same length as it is today.
Comments?

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0

Bifflefan

Commander

Tha problem is that you are not reattaching the top and bottom of the "I" beam. And no mater how tight you get it, it will still flex at the joint. This will cause the bolt hole to get elongated and make the condition worse. The only way you MAY be able to get around this is to also plate the top and bottom also.
The simplest and best answer is:
1 have a person that builds trailers look at it and get their opinion
2 store it some place else.

Personally, I wouldnt cut up that nice trailer.

salty87

Commander

cut a hole in the garage door and leave the tongue protruding. i've seen it done. not at my house :)

i wouldn't cut that trailer up either.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I understand what you are doing (thanks for the pics). Working with aluminum I beams is tricky. I suggest taking the trailer to a good trailer shop and have them make the mods you want. They may come up with a better solution, or just make the changes you need safely.

But, that being said, If I were to do this, I would make the cuts, then weld on heavy aluminum plate to the ends of each I beam. Make the plates extend about 3" extend higher and lower then the ends of the beam, then drill holes above and below for bolts and bolt the frame back together. A pair of gussets on the top and bottom would make the vertical plates stronger.

pjm3711

Cadet

I agree with talking to a professional but like to have all my ducks in a row. Looking at the attached drawing, don't the channels on each side of the I-beams make the splice as strong or stronger than the original? Remember the channel pieces are 30" long and span the cut points 15" on both sides with multiple bolts with washers (not shown) holding it all together.
Comments

Attachments

• trailermod.JPG
    trailermod.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

Knightgang

Lieutenant

The simplest and best answer is:
1 have a person that builds trailers look at it and get their opinion
2 store it some place else.

Personally, I wouldnt cut up that nice trailer.

cut a hole in the garage door and leave the tongue protruding. i've seen it done. not at my house :)

i wouldn't cut that trailer up either.

I agree with these comments...

And I third this one...

I wouldn't cut up that trailer.... I have one similar and I would not cut it up...

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In your pictures the back end of the tongue is bolted to a cross member. Can you remove the entire 3X3. Do you have a picture of the area where the Ibeams and the tongue come together?

pjm3711

Cadet

Yes, I would unbolt the U-Bolt and remove the 3x3 with the front section. Don't have picture but what happens is that the two i-beams come together and sandwich the 3x3 with two long bolts holding the whole thing together

pjm3711

Cadet

Yes, trust me, I have explored every option before coming to the decision to make the cut. I have drawn scale drawings putting the trailer in diagonally and raising the front up to the ceiling- does not fit-I have inquired about cutting the door-rules of subdivision don't allow. I have inquired about properly building on to garage- already at max square footage for lot size. You name it, Ive considered it. So only thing now is how do I make it strong enough when reassembling. Remember the whole package is being held by one pin holding the hitch bar into the receiver so I would think half a dozen grade A bolts torqued to proper specs with more material than origin would be good. What say

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I still would not cut that trailer. i would find nother place to store the boat...