9.5 Johnson Question

citybuck

Recruit
I recently bought a used flat-top johnson 9.5. There are two screws missing in the front of the motor (just under the carry handle) that look like they would secure the engine to the casing. I can see the receptical hole on the inside from the exterior hole. I do not have the model number (the motor is at the duck club right now), but I know that would be helpful. Does anyone have any idea what size screws I need for that? Can they be regular screws from the hardware store, or something I need to order?

Would these screws affect the motor's running or not? I have had it started and it runs (ran when I got it), but now I can't get it started.

Hope this isn't too elementary...this is my first time with outboards, so go easy!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 9.5 Johnson Question

Use this link to BRP

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/?popup=true

Find your engine and model. It should give you a part number for the screws.

If it asks for a password, hit cancel & it should get you through.

You do not want to use "Big Box Store" fasteners on your outboard. Any OMC dealer should have your screws.

Mas

PFS

Cadet
Re: 9.5 Johnson Question

I have two of these motors, and I just checked them both. My first one uses 1/4" x 20 pan head screws 3/4" long. The other motor (which is newer) uses the same thread size, but uses hex bolts instead. The hex bolts on mine have the 3/8" head with what's called an indented hexagon washer head.
indentedHexLine.gif