harmonic balancer puller

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
3.0 mercruiser engine -do i have to use the special tool in the manual -has anyone had success using the automotive tool to pull the hb off without damaging it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: harmonic balancer puller

has anyone had success using the automotive tool to pull the hb off without damaging it?

Ayuh,... as long as the tool you choose pulls from the center Hub,... Sure...

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where people go wrong pulling a harmonic balancer, on cars or boats, is they use a gear pull which pulls from the outside edges of the balancer. Problem is, the balancer is rubber cast around a metal center and using a gear pull can separate the two ruining the balancer.

Anything that will screw into the metal portion of the balancer then push on the crankshaft to press the balancer off the crank will work fine for automotive or boats provided you have enough room in the engine compartment to get that tool in front of the motor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes the 3 bolt puller will work for removal, reinstallation is a bit different and I wont argue on how to do it.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys the engine is out so i wont have a clearance issue.ill defintely gat the one that screws in and not a gear puller. thanks this is a great forum.lots of help whenever you need it and good information

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF you head up to the adults only sticky, and download the manual for your engine, you will see the correct tools for pulling and installing the balancer.
There are lots of companies making the tools, and renting them. Don't try installing the pulley without the proper tool.