Trim\Tilt

15flats

Seaman
I got my 2 deep cycle batteries. Everything works, but the tilt\trim. I can get the hydraulics to work every now and then, but not by choice. Tried to jump a hot wire straight to the motor to no avail. All I can get from the switches are a click from the relays. I believe the motor is going, if not already gone (burned out). Any advice to possibly inspecting\determining what is actually going on here?

This is a Evinrude 1989 70HP on a 15ft Flats.

15flats

Seaman
Re: Trim\Tilt

P.S. to the above post, All I can get is a clicking sound, and every so often the up trim will work. I also noticed that if I loosen the vent, it will not go down on its own, but will with a little pressure applied by me pushing down.

jonesg

Admiral

If putting v directly to the pump motor does nothing,
sounds like the motor is done. Get another off ebay.

15flats

Seaman

One question, I have been looking at some sites, yes even Evinrudes site; for a motor. What info do i need to find the correct one? It gets confusing. I looked at mine, and it is a 3 bolt (well 2 phillips screws and a bolt) 2 wire setup. I have the model number, it is E70TLCEM.

One more question, please. I noticed the fluid in the hydraulic system is red, I believe it is Automatic Transmission Fluid, is this what Evinrude trim\tilt uses for fluid? Seems like with all the detergents in ATF it would hurt the seals, but I am new to this, just mechanically inclined and learn fast. If that is the incorrect fluid, then what fluid should be in there? (In Laymans terms)

And thank you for your help and answering a newbie here!!

15flats

Seaman

Thank you for the link. I never worked on a boat, but I can figure almost anything out. On my boat,first I disconnect the hydraulic motor electrics then I have to have the outboard up, then pull the pin from the hydraulic arm connected to the engine from the tilt\trim, then take out 4 bolts (2 on each side) then the entire assembly will come out to be able to work on a bench top. Remove the 2 phillips screws, then the bolt and the motor should easily be removed.

This is what I observed today looking at a game plan in removing the motor, it cannot be done while still installed.

If someone here reading this sees that this is wrong, please correct me, for I am planning on doing this this way. OH YEAH, before starting this procedure, make sure that the support arm is down or you use something to secure the outboard.

jonesg

Admiral

One question, I have been looking at some sites, yes even Evinrudes site; for a motor. What info do i need to find the correct one? It gets confusing. I looked at mine, and it is a 3 bolt (well 2 phillips screws and a bolt) 2 wire setup. I have the model number, it is E70TLCEM.

One more question, please. I noticed the fluid in the hydraulic system is red, I believe it is Automatic Transmission Fluid, is this what Evinrude trim\tilt uses for fluid? Seems like with all the detergents in ATF it would hurt the seals, but I am new to this, just mechanically inclined and learn fast. If that is the incorrect fluid, then what fluid should be in there? (In Laymans terms)

And thank you for your help and answering a newbie here!!

I use tranny fluid.
If you get the service manual it saves a lot of guessing.
Its the best $48 you can spend on an outboard...bar none.
www.outboardbooks.com

www.evinrude.com
look up your engine, explode the parts diagram and get the part number,
then just snag a part off ebay cheap.