Don't you wish you could weld?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Don't you wish you could weld?

while yes it is a nice weld and the area that was holed really doesnt support anything, in my area not only would that weld have exceeded the cost of a replacement, but here in the salt pond welds tend to corrode rapidly.
thats also the reason why most welders say lower unit and other such marine castings are bad, most welders dont design the alloy for maximum corrosion protection in a varity of mineral laden waters.
most welders dont have access to the specific marine alloy thats being welded as most manufacturers have a patent on their alloys. so here in the salt pond it can be welded, life gets shortened.
is a pretty weld job though.

a70eliminator

Captain

Heck if that area is just a void then no problem I would feel confident in the repair, It just looked at first like a bearing hanging out in mid air.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Some people like to fix things just because they can.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone, somewhere is washing out prophylactics, reusing them, and laughing all the way to the bank.
I still have to ask, why?

a70eliminator

Captain

That's just rediculous for to rationalized like that get real, before it's over this guy (wise one) is going to know more about his outdrive than alot of people will ever dream to if he doesn't already. I love to fixing stuff that other's throw out, can't afford not to, if I had a free welder would have done the same thing, how much a good case would go for and how available to me would be a determining factor, but sometimes just like to tinker too.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

For all of you haters/doubters.....

Are you kidding me ? That's an awesome post, and WizeOne was only sharing his enthusiasm for a job well done. Did any of you even consider the skill and art of that. Forget the long term durability, that's an All-Star effort. Jesus, I've seen three page threads about F-ing obsolete spark plugs on here and where can I buy a can of paint. Half of you don't even know what the hell you're talking about. I know the season's coming to an end, but don't take it out on our brothers. It's just not the spirit of this forum. And it's not just this guy...give it a rest.

If you have nothing constructive to say, take a pass, or find a blow-boaters forum !

Maybe we need another category for "trash this poster". When you post, you could check a box that says "I'm willing to be humiliated". How about it moderators ? Think that would work ?

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Atta boy Ron

Tell it like it is ! lol

I did think everyone was here to try and help 1 another ??:confused:

fish

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Atta boy Ron

Tell it like it is ! lol

I did think everyone was here to try and help 1 another ??:confused:

fish

Thanks man. Help comes in all different colors doesn't it. Sometimes I think it's just a race to see who can post something even remotely relevant...

God knows what a tremendous help this forum is to everyone, I just feel bad for the Newbie (not you wizeone) that posts a "Newbie", legitimate question and gets hammered by some of the members. If the spirit of the forum is to help each other out, then that's what we should be doing...however ignorant we think the post/question is. If I have misinterpreted this forum, and it is in fact for experienced "you should know that if you own a boat" members only, then forgive me. I'll send my dues elsewhere....:D

a70eliminator

Captain

I ecspecially (spell) really like the way the skeg came out so straight and true, I'll bet the weld despite what someone said about marine grade aluminum is way thicker than the original wall and can really take a good wallup now.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I would hafta agree with yall....some people either LIKE to throw away money or have no ambition...etc etc...dif strokes for dif folks

hey it was fun to weld it up.....the skeg looks better than new....

Now he has a great backup lower or can sell it as is......should operate fine.

ROCK ON!

fabrimacator21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... I'm Sorry Wiseone,... It Is a real Pretty repair... looks like it was Tig, not Mig...
But Pretty don't properly support the workin's of it all...

How are you dealing with the missing Internal bosses,+ alignments,+ tolerances,..??

I'm not trying to p on your parade,... Sorry if it comes off that way...
Just seems like a $2000. Effort for what could have been a $600. Cure...

Had the same thing happen to my dads OMC 800.... my brother was driving:D:rolleyes:

He had her welded up and running in 4 hours and we were on the lake in the same weekend. It lasted 3 years and probably is still lasting(boat was stolen).

You CAN'T mig an I/O.... unless you burned out the sand with a tig first... then you'd still have to deal with the splatter going in the case.

The cast on I/O's and props is focking horrible. They filled with sand(ask me how I know:redface:). Only way to get a worthwhile bead on one is to use tig to burn out the perocity then run your passes.

I have to ask though..... to the OP.... what'd you pay for that repair? Seems like 3-4 hours of work at least (going rate is $75 an hour)

Only thing I'd be worried about is hairline crackes around that repair. Cast LOVES to crack and judging by the first pic I wouldn't be suprised if that thing is cracked all over the place.... maybe even an inch or so past where it broke. Hopefully the guy that fixed it took that into account. Even so some are too small to see with the naked eye. Since you can't magnaflux aluminum thats a risk you take.

That repair looks good.... I just hope he didn't spend more money then a new unit would cost:eek:. Should last fine though as long as the guy who fixed it made sure he ground out and welded any visible cracks well past where he couldn't see them anymore. Judging from his work I'd say he did.

Good luck man.

Oh, and I agree with ya Ron.;)

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOOKS GOOD and if it was done at a marine or Prop Shop, the correct alloy was used.

A true master at work.

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you kidding me ? That's an awesome post, and WizeOne was only sharing his enthusiasm for a job well done. Did any of you even consider the skill and art of that. Forget the long term durability, that's an All-Star effort. Jesus, I've seen three page threads about F-ing obsolete spark plugs on here and where can I buy a can of paint. Half of you don't even know what the hell you're talking about. I know the season's coming to an end, but don't take it out on our brothers. It's just not the spirit of this forum. And it's not just this guy...give it a rest.

If you have nothing constructive to say, take a pass, or find a blow-boaters forum !

Maybe we need another category for "trash this poster". When you post, you could check a box that says "I'm willing to be humiliated". How about it moderators ? Think that would work ?

here here...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Because the type of repair is questioned, doesn't indicate "trash this poster".
I have noticed the complete lack of information in Mercruiser maintenance manuals concerning repair of cracked sterndrive housings and cracked blocks. Obviously, Mercruiser wants to make money on replacement parts. I have also noticed the joy expressed by the person buying a used boat then discovering JB Weld slathered on the block or drive.
"Constructive to say". When the individual is contemplating the repair, ask yourself, "What would the boat surveyor have to say about this repair?" This is not to be interpreted as the boat is being repaired to sell. There is someone, seeing the posted pictures, that thought, "JB Weld".

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

mkast,

All good points, and well taken. I just think the guy was proud, and showing off a valiant effort. You're on this forum enough to know what I was talking about...:D

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm amazed at how many people don't completely read posts.

He had to pick up another lower to be able to make the trip but he took this case to work where a master welder plied his trade

WizeOne's FRIEND was who had this happen and WizeOne's FRIEND took it to work where there is a master welder, and said welder did this work to it. I would logically assume here that the welder liked the challenge and agreed to fix it up seeing as though WizeOne's FRIEND had already got a replacement lower unit!

Whether or not one of us would pay to have a welder do that kind of work is absolutely irrelevant because as I read it, a friend/co-worker did this work which means (well in my world) that it's now a favor owed, a favor paid back, or was done for the fun of the work because the welder loves to weld.

It's an awesome repair, looks good, looks strong but at the end of the day I would think only the welder really cares if it works right or not.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Aesthetically, beautiful work. That guy is an artist. I can weld just fine, but bridging a hole like that is not something for a novice. I applaud his willingness to make the effort for his friend.

Mechanically, only time will tell....but I've seen worse repaired more poorly and hold up.

WizeOne

Commander

I'm amazed at how many people don't completely read posts.

WizeOne's FRIEND was who had this happen and WizeOne's FRIEND took it to work where there is a master welder, and said welder did this work to it. I would logically assume here that the welder liked the challenge and agreed to fix it up seeing as though WizeOne's FRIEND had already got a replacement lower unit!

Whether or not one of us would pay to have a welder do that kind of work is absolutely irrelevant because as I read it, a friend/co-worker did this work which means (well in my world) that it's now a favor owed, a favor paid back, or was done for the fun of the work because the welder loves to weld.

It's an awesome repair, looks good, looks strong but at the end of the day I would think only the welder really cares if it works right or not.

Bingo!;)