building a cruiser, from secondhand hull

lgsax

Recruit
I am wanting to buy a secondhand fibreglass boat, remove everything and start again leaving just the hull and the engine and custom build my perfect boat myslelf. Can anyoine tell me

1) is it easily possible?
2) how will it effect the structure, do fibreglass boats have bulkheads for stregnth.
3) how do u attatch your new structure to existing fibreglass.
4) what should the structure be made of
5)any good free websites on this

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: building a cruiser, from secondhand hull

I would suggest buying one that is close to what you are thinking and then do minor mods to make it what your looking for.
I think what your talking about is a full resto plus+++. Its not going to be a weekend project.
As for easy, thats a reletive term. Whats easy for one is hard for another.

As to the other questions start small and then work up. It will keep the frustration level down and hair on your head..:D

jonesg

Admiral

I am wanting to buy a secondhand fibreglass boat, remove everything and start again leaving just the hull and the engine and custom build my perfect boat myslelf. Can anyoine tell me

1) is it easily possible?
2) how will it effect the structure, do fibreglass boats have bulkheads for stregnth.
3) how do u attatch your new structure to existing fibreglass.
4) what should the structure be made of
5)any good free websites on this

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at this, either build the whole thing or find a hull that is a close match and use their plans for the interior.
They are very efficient designs.

The Outer Banks 20 is a lobster-boat style cruiser that can accomodate two adults in a v-berth. Their goal is to be able to cruise around 15 mph with a 25-hp outboard, and use no more than 1.5 gph. They found her with a top speed of 20.6 mph at WOT with a Tohatsu 25. !

LOA - 20'0"
LWL - 18'5"
Beam - 7'1"
Draft - 9"
Deadrise - 12 degrees
Weight (w/25 hp motor) - 1200 - 1400 lbs. ( all wooden version)
http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/obx.htm

Attachments

• BandBYachts%20Outer%20Banks%2020%20stern.jpg
    BandBYachts%20Outer%20Banks%2020%20stern.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • a&b.jpg
    a&b.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I am wanting to buy a secondhand fibreglass boat, remove everything and start again leaving just the hull and the engine and custom build my perfect boat myslelf.

Nearly everyone doing a full restoration does exactly this. My thread, thrill's thread to name a couple. There are quite a few bare-hull restorations on here. Mostly not by choice, but because older boats have rotten wood which is lining the hull.

jonesg

Admiral

Nearly everyone doing a full restoration does exactly this. My thread, thrill's thread to name a couple. There are quite a few bare-hull restorations on here. Mostly not by choice, but because older boats have rotten wood which is lining the hull.

excellent documentation but you gotta get out there and do something.