Chrysler -We the People were the losers.

sentinel

Seaman
I dropped my FIRST Chrysler lower unit following Admiral Larva's instructions in replacing the impeller.

The construction, machining, and hardware are far and away from any Mercury, Evinrude, and Johnson, etc., motor I have ever rebuilt or repaired for my own use....What a surprise!

When Chrysler quit manufacturing motors.... the Marine industry and the general boating population was the loser. Not Chrysler.

Now we have Asian coarse cast molds, rough cuts, and threaded holes and bolts with the famous Asian "Uni-thread" (almost) metric heads which can cross thread with any known pitch in place of old-time quality.

The machining, castings, with easy impeller replacement on this 15 HP Chrysler is arguably the most precision, quality constructed O.B. motor I have ever seen in the last 30 years.

Of possible interest to others.... Use WD-40 to clean drive shaft of carbon. Removing all carbon by rubbing it off and scratching it with fingernail. A shiny drive shaft will preserve your oil seals when you slide impeller housing off. I do not let WD-40 get on the seals themselves. Do this with any shaft that you are going to slide an oil seal over.

Tnx. again Admiral. -Larry

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chrysler -We the People were the losers.

Larry, there are still "force whiners" [as I call them]that seem to have nothing good to say about the force and earlier chrysler motors,and usually it;s some one that has never owned or worked on one. But it's their right to say what they want, so thanks to good people like you that give honest opinions ,first time chrysler or force owners aren't badly influenced by "the whiners". As always ,this is my two cents worth.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know what is funny to me? When I was growing up in Nebraska in the '60's & 70's (granted,not exactly a boating hot bed) hearing the "Chrysler" name associated with boats and outboards always made me think of "quality,performance, and speed". Kind of like the "Cadillac" of the water. For some reason I just always had great respect for Chrylser products instilled in me.
I know my old '69 70 hp that I nursed back to health has been for the most part a piece of cake to work on. Parts took a little detective work to find, but again, just a labor of love! :)

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
what's the story

what's the story

After reading this post I became curious about where "Force" came from. Wondered why Force and Chrysler were coupled. I take it someone bought Chrysler marine, then called it Force. I am an OMC fellow myself but just browsed for Chrysler out of curiosity. I know Chrysler made great machines at one time so I'm sure the marine products were great as well. Never considered one because of parts availability. But Force... I kinda based an opinion on those because from what I have seen. Most out board boats for sale have Force motors. Most boats being hauled in have Force motors. I seem to remember when they were relatively new, they had 1/3 more CCs to produce the same HP as others. So what's the story...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Being an admitted and unabashed Chrysler fan--yes the engines were built with quality workmanship and materials, but not significantly better than the competiton. That said, They were old school design even when Chrysler bought West Bend. For a number of years Chrysler made no design changes and then did make changes very gradually. Thus: almost any component of an early Force engine will swap into a Chrysler.

HOWEVER: It MUST be recognised that Chrysler outboard engines had some significant design flaws: Notably the early lower units and pin drive props, the common exhaust chest for all cylinders, and a smaller water pump than the competitors. Less seals were also used in the lower units to lower production costs. Short con-rods and small bore pistons limited horsepower production to a degree as did a crankcase big enough for a cat to shake its tail in.

Just as at the drag strip, modified Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge products were competitive while on the street, stock chevys beat them regularly, Chrysler outboards were competitive when set up for racing while Mercs and OMCs would consistantly outrun them in pleasure use.

Unfortunately, Chrysler Corp got itself into financial trouble just when Chrysler Marine was starting to make some significant design changes. The had some really strong mid size engines (55, 60, 65 HP). Federal Govt. required Chrysler Corp to divest all but its core auto business for a bail-out.

So: did the consumer lose out? Maybe, maybe not. Large corporations during that time period moved very slowly. If you remember the seat belt controversy of the late 60s, you will understand. Auto industry fought tooth and nail to prevent having to install seat belts in their products. Same thing happened with air bags.

SO Chrysler may have continued to improve the outboards but then again, they might have just coasted along with the product they had.

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And with all that being stated I would like to add my opinion. Whether it be a Force or Chrysler designed Force I've recently purchased an 85hp vintage 1988. Being new to outboard repair and having some mechanical ability I find this engine very user friendly. The more I work on it the more I understand it and the more I like it. I've been doing alot to it to get it right and parts are very ready available. As with any old engine it did need alot of attention when I got it but I'm actually enjoying working on it and I hope to get alot of use out of it when I'm done. In finishing this reply I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future if I need one. O.T.;)

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like chrysler motors because I am cheap, and no one ever wants them. However, I find them to be rougher running than OMC (which I really prefer money no object) of the same horsepower and vintage. Maybe this is unfair but i have had some mint condition chryco motors which were reliable and excellent, but not as smooth as OMCs I have had. I really dont like mercs, old new etc, and I regret to admit I really like the new hondas which I cannot begin to afford :)

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Force 150 on a 20' Trophy boat. The boat and motor are both 1992. I love this motor. I am the 2nd owner of this boat/motor. It has given me no problems what-so-ever. I've done all the maintenance / winterizing myself and I am no outboard expert. I've had it 5 years now and enjoyed all the time I've spent running it on northern Lake George in New York. No complaints here.