USCG Training in rough seas

Tommyfmu

Seaman
Re: USCG Training in rough seas

Our local Coast Guard station out of Montaulk Long Island just lost our commander because of training in 15 ft chop, because he was only certified for up to about 8 ft.

cribber

Lieutenant

I'm glad they get to practice these maneuvers as part of their training to help rescue folks in rough seas. I so would love to be a tag along on one of those training exercises. I really have fun cutting back on my own wake and catching some serious air just like a jetski with my boat.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Certification and experience for 8' seas or 15' for that matter does not protect the Captain from a rogue wave that stands up and curls over. That's the type that causes the casualties on the bars or near the shore, and if you don't see it in time hang on and hope for the best.

PS: Tommyfmu 15' ain't no chop. 2-3 is a chop and 4' over would be considered a sea (At least where I boated offshore in Florida)

Last edited:

ravencrew

Banned

That's a bummer what happened in the article, But if someone got hurt from not being qualified it could have been a lot worse. This station was also featured in a newpaper article but I was luck enough to get them on film. It's considered the second worst bar entrance on the west coast. Yeah I know typo their lifeboats and not cutters I didn't realize it until after I had uploaded the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4lA6UcYKTw

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great footage! It really illustrates the power of the ocean, and a well designed vessel and crew built to take it (and I really appreciate your use of a good tripod). Thanks for posting this.
Larry