Winch question

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are there trailer winches that work like a come along? (move 180deg. not 360)

the way I need to mount the winch I will be unable to turn the handle all the way around. So I need one that I can move back an forth like a rachet strap but mounted.

if these are out there please post a link

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winch question

With a good winch, you should be able to take the handle out of gear and move it back and back into gear again.

You should post a picture of your setup so we can help you better.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I think that what you will need to do is to fabricate a new Bow Stop that will add a little more standoff of the bow from the winch tower. Pictures will help.

However, I do not know of any 180* ratchet winches...

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

They do exist!!! My single jet ski trailer has one on it. Granted I'm sure it's only about 1500# to 2000 # model, but it is what you describe. I looked @ the winch and can NOT find any name or model #. The trailer is a shorelander (1996) make.

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YES !! This is what I was talking about. Thank you very much.

I see they are rated for 400lbs . If I'm not using it to pull the boat but more to secure it to the trailer is the rating then on the strap insted??

I have a pontoon w/ a lift trailer the goes down the middle of the toon. This alows for the boat to be floated up to the forward bumps. I would like to use one of these winches to strap and hold it aginst the forward bunk stop.

Do you think that the winch will have the strength to hold the boat while it's pulled out of the water?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

i would think the winch would hold in that situation, but I'd have a safety chain on as well.