Water jacket core plug installation

My core plug finally fell out of my 1966 evinrude fastwin. It went from pumping a decent stream with a little water dribbling out from the lower pan, to having no stream and water gushing from under the head. Can anyone tell me how to replace this plug? do you just hammer it in and call it good?

Also, the water jacket has heavy deposits (salt?) and corrosion too. Any good solvents for cleaning this junk out?

Thanks

bb

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Water jacket core plug installation

Did this a month ago, find the same size plug- put in concave side out and hit it with a blunt punch or a smaller size bolt with a hammer. I'm not a salt expert, like in freshwater land, don't know!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Did this a month ago, find the same size plug- put in concave side out and hit it with a blunt punch or a smaller size bolt with a hammer. I'm not a salt expert, like in freshwater land, don't know!

A little confusion in terminology there--convex side goes out. "Bulge" or "dome" out that is. In other words, when you hammer on it, you flatten it out. It expands when flattened. Do not go beyond flat, or it will get loose again.

Thanks for the clarification F R. I didn't realize that it needed to be flattened out. :)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

A little confusion in terminology there--convex side goes out. "Bulge" or "dome" out that is. In other words, when you hammer on it, you flatten it out. It expands when flattened. Do not go beyond flat, or it will get loose again.

Yup convex, my bad, concave would be the opposite. Thanks fr