Trailer loading guides

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new to the board and was wondering if anyone ever used these before?

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a set of these because I'm not very good at loading my boat let alone backing it up.This product looks like my wife could even load the boat while I back the trailer in.

bullseye.jpg

Just asking because I don't know if I want to spend almost 300 bucks if they don't work.What do you think?Are there similiar products out there too?

I found it while surfing through youtube and took the pic off the company's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OIcTj9Tjo

Thanks much!

Harleydyna#1

Cadet
Re: Trailer loading guides

I'm new to the board and was wondering if anyone ever used these before?

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a set of these because I'm not very good at loading my boat let alone backing it up.This product looks like my wife could even load the boat while I back the trailer in.

bullseye.jpg

Just asking because I don't know if I want to spend almost 300 bucks if they don't work.What do you think?Are there similiar products out there too?

I found it while surfing through youtube and took the pic off the company's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OIcTj9Tjo

Thanks much!

Im sorry that i have no info or guidence about those but you should get a trailer like mine a 5 yr old could load this trailer

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz242/CameranNshort1/Boatbowleftsmall.jpg

Bifflefan

Commander

I have never used them.
That being said, I DONT power load so i have no reason to have anything like them. If you load using the winch then you dont need them. For power loading I can see that they could make it easier.
But how much are they? can you build a set for less? Personally Ilike to build stuff.
I guess if your loading in a cross current or in a cross wind they will help also.
I have seen quite a few trailers with those or something like them so i guess there is a market for them.

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

They are selling them for $359 with FREE shipping for the HD BullseyeQuickload

I live in Minnesota and at times the access line can be quite long.I just want to be able to back in....load the boat...and go....keeping it as simple as possible.I know a lot of the times when I'm in a hurry...circumstances tend to foul up and tend to frustrate me and get me pissed.At times I've felt like selling the boat so I'm not embarrassed anymore at the boat ramp from lack of experience.

These seem to be the ticket...and I guess worth it if it saves me time and embarrassment.

Last edited:

cribber

Lieutenant

If those guides catch your rub rail you should be good to go. Is your trailer rollers or bunks? If you have bunks for your setup, 4 guides is overkill, I think. Rollers... you should be good to go with that selection.

The key is that your guides are tall enough to grab the rub rails of your boat and not the hull to guide her on the trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats Crappiemagnet.

These load guides are probably overkill for most boats, trailers, loading conditions.
But I can see where they may help under some conditions.

First, lets get a little more info.

What kind of boat do you have? length, year, fiberglass or aluminum ?

What type of trailer do you have, all roller, bunks, or a combination?

Do you launch/load in river current?

There are countless styles and sizes of load guides available.
Most are priced from $75 to $150.

Hopefully we can recommend the best for your needs.

Here is a link to some that are sold here on iboats:

http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Trailer_Guides/dm/*******.031118564--**********.288680794--view_id.238441

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

What kind of boat do you have? length, year, fiberglass or aluminum ?
I have a 14' Chrysler Runabout

What type of trailer do you have, all roller, bunks, or a combination?
Old Shorelander trailer with bunk set-up.Roller up front.

Do you launch/load in river current?
I launch in both.We go boating on Lake Minnetonka and the St.Croix.The St.Croix has fast moving water and a crooked ramp.

I really appreciate all the feedback.:D

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I was gonna suggest these. Alot cheaper. Alot depends on the type of boat and trailer setup you have. Let us know...

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Although I don't use them, I prefer the way windboards work as opposed to rollers. A couple of the steeper ramps I've used there have been people crossed up on their trailer due to current and/or wind. It's the only time I seriously think about any kind of guide.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Do you powerload (drive the boat on the trailer) , or float the boat on?

Powerloading is very difficult if the trailer is not right.
Depth of the trailer in the water is also very critical.

With a bunk trailer, it is important to get the correct trailer depth, so that the hull gets "stuck" on the bunks, and they keep the boat straight. The bunks should also then self center the boat on the trailer, if they are in the correct location.

Personally, I would go with guides such as these at the back of the trailer:

http://www.iboats.com/Fulton_Boat_Guides/dm/*******.031118564--**********.141955523--view_id.4194

And possibly a set like these near the front:

http://www.iboats.com/Fulton_Custom...31118564--**********.141955523--view_id.38712

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

The rear of my trailer has a bunk style that bobs up and down in the water but tends to make loading the boat a problem.I usually try to drive the boat on when on the river.Loading the boat on the river by hand is almost impossible due to the very strong current and the possibility of being swept away.On a lake I use the winch.That is why I liked the idea of using the guides in my first post.After watching the video of it...it seemed almost to unreal.The video showed the trailer in the water as being crooked and it is very close to the actual application I'll be using the guides for...So I guess maybe I should just spend the extra money.The website was bulleyesquickload.com to anyone else that might find them useful.

To all that responded....I really appreciate all the feedback.God Bless...and be safe while boating and hope to see you on the water!:D

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm bad at loading a boat and I boat on the river. I had my dad make a tall set for my 14' tin and it loads like a dream With more of a V bottom, it stays on the keel roller and the back is held in place. You can walk up front and hook up the winch hook without floating off of the trailer.

He just delivered a new set for the new boat. 3' tall in the back and 30" in the middle. I already had some short little ones in the back but if the ramp is steep, they're basically under water. What good does that do? That ramp in the vid is a shallow angle and even I can do well with one like that. No current? No problem!

They're also nice because you can see your trailer when you're backing up. It's bad when the trailer starts going down the ramp and disappears from view. You can always see the poles though. They are great.

I don't think those look worth $300. You can try two and add more if you need to but I'd start with the long ones. They are common as dirt around my part of the country.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Roscoes advice is good check out his link to the Iboats guides...
you should be PLENTY fine with some at the back and thats it...you shouldnt need 4

Guides are great in windy conditions and rivers

AND you wont hit your trailer fenders / run over them with the hull etc (the PO on my boat hit the heck out of the boat off the trailer fenders and chipped the gel coat up big time) so it may save you alot of dents and such .........

spend $100 on it and move on to the fish/Depth finder and other toys for your boat! lol

Philster

Captain

I have two tall guide poles. Love them. They center the boat and hit only the rub rail.

Helped get my 26' Scarab out of a back bay channel with currents and winds during the latest Nor' Easter.

They came with the trailer when I bought the package. I think having two tall ones near the rear of the trailer is important. Not sure about the ones you posted.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Let me add, when I had my last set...which were similar to the ones you posted....if you backed the trailer in too far they were useless and would often get hung up under the boat. Taller is better.

Philster

Captain

When you are on the boat, taller is better.

Two tall ones at the rear. You can see 'em, feel 'em, and they only hit the rub rail.

This is my 26', 5000+ lbs. boat with fuel/gear and these work in current and wind:

4114471263_824fc47dd3_o.jpg

4114471253_21215dc500_o.jpg

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ive had problems loading in the river current as well and thus put on a set of low ones. Did not go well at all, as the ramp I launch at a lot drops off sharply and the hull would hang up on the guides. Ripped them off and made a set that are tall.

Very happy with the tall ones, especially in a current....Made from scrap !

Attachments

• 100_5516.JPG
    100_5516.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10-21-09 022.jpg
    10-21-09 022.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5517.JPG
    100_5517.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

So a tall set in rear and shorter in front would be better?

On the bullseye quickloads their sold as a set of 4.....I suppose to make it guide on the trailer better??

I'm liking the idea of 4.Not so much of a guessing game that way.:cool:

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Depending on the bunk type trailer you have, you should only need one set of tall ones at the rear...