Transom height / Short shaft ?

Coosa River

Seaman
I guess you guys have answered this question a few thousand times.......but am wondering if these short shaft outboards will run on a boat with a transom that's 16 inches high. Was looking at my boat, and with a short shaft motor it would appear as if the prop would be about even or higher than the bottom of the boat. What scale do you folks use to determine the answer to this type situation ?

Thanks,

Coosa River

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom height / Short shaft ?

A short (15") shaft motor is correct for a short transom that measures around 15" VERTICAL. That is usually the case with a tilted 16" transom.

The anti-ventilation plate (often incorrectly called a cavitation plate) should be even with, to an inch or so higher than, the bottom of the transom.

Put her on the transom and see how she fits. Let us know what you find, and good luck. :)

Coosa River

Seaman

Thanks. I've seen a few short shaft outboards for sale around here, and was gonna keep my eye out for a "spare" this winter. I just didn't want to purchase something that would serve me a poor purpose. I could see where a short shaft would suit me better in these stumps and rocks in this backwater......I just wasn't sure whether a 15" shaft on a 16" transom would catch enough water to push the boat efficiently.

Coosa River

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Check your transom depth again...correct way to measure it is to run a flat edge along the keel and several inches out past the stern. Then measure down from the top of the transom to the flat edge. If you measure along the rake/angle of the transom you can get a false measurement.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are concerned with running in shallow backwaters with stumps and downed floating logs you could add a break away unit between your transom and outboard. Their made for running in the shallows at low speeds and will "break away" and allow your outboard to go up and over a log, stump, rocks, ect. Once past the obstruction it will reset itself. A lot of duck hunters use them to help reduce or even eliminate lower unit damage.

You can get all the information at this web address in the CMC Tilt & Trim Section.

http://www.transom-jacks.com

Coosa River

Seaman

You're right on the measurement. My transom does tilt back / angling back and up. I'll re-check the height, but am thinking it's more like 14" which would make a big difference in the short shaft question.

If I stay with this long shaft that I have now ( about 28 " ) I may have to "jack" it up some. I will probably have to build my own though.....the price tag on those jacks is a little high for my taste on this old knock around the river boat.

I was looking at another item though.... http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._20945_225011000_225000000_225011000_225-11-0

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._20944_225011000_225000000_225011000_225-11-0

I'm a bit skeptical as to how well these things work or hold up if they do hit something. I could see where the round thing would be bent over into the prop, or just bent backwards if it hit anything. What is your opinion on either of these gadgets ?.

Coosa River

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your running at say a fast no wake speed or less you can rig a support to hold the motor at a extreme trim angle.I used to just lay a 2 X 4 in there but you have to be very careful not to damage the reverse lock down. Be sure it pumps water

Coosa River

Seaman

With this "idea" in mind, I was kicking around on ebay this morning.....seen this outboard on there at auction. I'm not interested in bidding on it, but was sure interested in the foot on this thing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...6173745QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

I'm not sure what type application this design was for, but could see how it would keep the prop out of trouble. It's like a hybrid between a jet and a prop. It's got my inventive spirit stirred up a bit.

Coosa River