how to make vinyl go around an inside curve?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
trying to get the vinyl to lay without wrinkles.
test.resized.jpg

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: how to make vinyl go around an inside curve?

This is most likely not much help but when i did my deck boat i had curves like that & i just "stripped" the frabic on the back & streached as tight as i could & let nature take its course (meaning the sun & a little time took the wrinkles out) :cool:

redfury

Commander

what does the backside of that piece look like with the vinyl on it? Are there pleats on the back side or is it smoothly stapled down.

I'd probably staple the fabric in the back first, and then stretch the fabric in a radial pattern away from the bend and then start stapling the rest ( stretch out away from the bend by pulling away from the center of it after that part is stapled ).

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the above pic is the orignal. It almost looks like it's molded onto the wood. Just pulling it over the curve it realy pleats bad on the exposed side. I'll try stapling it then pulling to c if that helps.

erikgreen

Captain

Depending on the exact type and materials in the fabric you're using, you could try heating it a little and stretching it into place... this would remove the wrinkles as it cooled, but it would also probably cause it to form an angular corner where the vinyl "bridged" over the foam.

If you want it to stay laying against the foam, use 3m spray adhesive to stick the vinyl down to the foam. If it's smooth when you glue it down it should stay that way.

Erik

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

You just need to cut the new material into strips were it curves in, in other words rather than trying to staple down one solid piece in the back you will be stapling down tabs, the cuts should go right up to the point where you will not see them when installed but as close to the curve as possible.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be using a hair dryer to soften the vinyl and then try the suggestions above. Be careful about the back-cuts, however.