Repair, replace, or leave it alone?

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't currently have my outdrive on yet. What do you think of the wear on the ball gear? Should I do anything with it now or wait? The outdrive that I am mating with the intermediate drive is a Stringer 800 from a donor boat so the wear won't match up. What do you think?

dimple gear.jpg

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repair, replace, or leave it alone?

Uh Oh! This is scarry that I have no comments! I asked a mechanic and he said that was normal wear from having the drive engaged whils tilting. How har is it to replace this and how much?

5 speed

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry no one is responding...

I've never seen one of those and actually thought it was some kind of seafood..:D

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Do an advanced search in this forum with key words--ball gears--you will get a couple of pages of similar posts.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... They say those are OK til 50%.... Those are gettin' Really Close to that...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I'm not a "Stringer guy" but the wear you have is what they do. That's normal for any ball-gear drive.

How far you let go is up to you. Ultimately, it will get to the point where your boat will not go or will appear to "slip".

If you have matched ball gears the wear level you have might go for quite a while. If you do not have matched (wear) "ball gears", there will be a LOT of apparent wear until thy become "matched". .....That may happen about the time they start to "slip"

If I was putting a "new" (different) drive on the back of my Stringer, and I could not use the original ball gears (both), I would replace the ball gears....

http://www.masonmarine.net/stringer-ball-gear-p-1025.html

http://www.sterndrive.info/id20.html

That way I would be starting from the same "wear-point" for both

I know they're not cheap. Nothing "boating" is.... If you don't, you might have to get towed. If that's on an Ok Lake, that might be ok. Take your cell phone with you!

Cheers,

Rick

zbnutcase

Commander

Ball gears should always be replaced as a pair. Not a terribly hard job but you usually need a press. And chances are you need an upper box reseal anyway. 'nutcase

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh I see! yeah thats a no brainer to replace both of them especially now that I have 2 different ball drives and they are both worb to some degree. Consider that done! Now for the upper reseal... I'm a MERC guy gone OMC so I'm gonna need some coaching on that one...

5 speed

cr2k

Captain

Those ball gears are not even near 50% wear.
If the outdrive set have same or less wear you could probably get away with them for a few years. Yes they will wear a little fast for a while until they "mate".

Yes they are kinda expensive.

Ball gears slipping? How can they slip? That's a new one on me. Since they line up in a circle when they are gone they are gone and there is NO drive.

Mine are 25 years old and still driving.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guestimate the balls to be 20 to 25% worn... no where near 50%! I'll probably replace them just because I am like that! I want to do it right the first time and not have to fool with it for awhile!

5 speed

Bondo

Staff member

I'm a MERC guy gone OMC so I'm gonna need some coaching on that one...

Ayuh,.... OK,... I can handle that 1....:D

What are you Nuts,?.?.?. Dump that Stringer,+ get yourself another Mercruiser...
While you're at it,...
Schedule yourself an appointment with a Shrink,.... You really need to have your head examined....

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey now... I bought the boat for a good price and I didn't have the option of a merc! In fact I am real lucky to have found a I/O period in a Starcraft.

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, I have my 800 Stringer outdrive donator boat that I bought just for the OMC outdrive off ebay for 255.00 bucks, coming to my house for surgery Friday. My Starcraft has a Ford engine and the donator boat (Sea Ray) has a Chevy engine. I'll look at the ball gears on it of course and use the best of what is there. My question is what can I do to service what is there before I remove and install the 800 outdrive and propeller on my Starcraft? There is a slot screw/cap at the 11pm position. What is this for lube for the intermediate? Does that need to be flushed? I want to put a upper seal kit in the outdrive and also put a fresh impeller in it. Is there a prefered grease for all the gears and bearings? I'll blend the nicks on the propeller and paint it with epoxy paint. Do you install the outdrive like a merc in the full throttle position or does it matter on the OMC? I'll get a manual eventually but I would like to get a jump start on these items. Thanks in advance!

I got the manual out and started to read and read and read! I now know that this is going to be more than a day job with the shift linkage and replacing all the seals and fluids!

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finished the removal of the outdrive and intermediate from the donor boat. This ball gear looks brand new compared to the donor! I learned alot from taking it apart and removing it.

5 speed

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

cudos; i'm sure there will be some along that can benefit from your experience in the future

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ball gears slipping? How can they slip? That's a new one on me. Since they line up in a circle when they are gone they are gone and there is NO drive.
If you run them to that point, they'll do what I described....
Ultimately, it will get to the point where your boat will not go or will appear to "slip".
For the benefit of the some non-technical types.....I use the term loosely!

Ayuh,.... OK,... I can handle that 1....:D

What are you Nuts,?.?.?.
toothlessgiggler.gif
uh....yeah..... my point exactly!;)

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOl! I'm just going to replace the ball gear set and put in the new seals. My hobbs is showing 250 hours I think replacing them now it prime time to do so.

5 speed

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Those links I posted indicate that the ball gears aren't that expensive (compared to other wear parts)

If you take good care of your stringer you'll get good service. There's plenty of other people that have a lot of experience with them and good results!

Understand that there's not a lot of techs out there that know anything about them these days....They're more than 25 years old in most cases......

Make sure you have the CORRECT OMC service manual for what ever you do if you want to do it yourself......

Good luck!

Rick

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the correct manual and me being an aircraft mechanic by trade it's not difficult for me. I also have a 115HP electric shift Johnson that everybody said the same thing about. . . no biggie. I have a pretty good idea that this boat will be something that turns heads at the lake. It being all aluminum, deep V design is somewhat intimidating. Add a healthy 250HP 4bbl V8 with above water exhaust bellows burbling in the water ... oh yeah baby :D

5 speed

WizeOne

Commander

I guestimate the balls to be 20 to 25% worn... no where near 50%! I'll probably replace them just because I am like that! I want to do it right the first time and not have to fool with it for awhile!

5 speed

undoubtedly, replace them. The mismatch will greatly accelerate the wear. Then do not run with the drive up. My ball gears are now 29 years old and have no where near the wear of your picture.