Have You Seen This Before? Decking NOT on Stringers

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Okay, I've pulled the hatch covering the gas tank and opened up the "floor" of my center console and found that the stringers are much lower than the deck of the boat. The deck is molded with the liner of the boat, but just wondering if you've seen it before... Here's a (rough) picture or diagram of what I'm talking about:

Layout.jpg

The boat is a 20' long center console with an outboard. Due to the foam and the fact that I haven't pulled the cap/liner off yet, I'm not sure if there is another set of stringers to the outside, but I don't think there are...

drewpster

Commander
Re: Have You Seen This Before? Decking NOT on Stringers

I have not worked on any myself but I have seen several designs like you describe. It is likely that the stringers are there to add rigidity to the hull and not for deck support. I know it is common in boats built using a liner. It may be that the foam is intended to support it.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Have You Seen This Before? Decking NOT on Stringers

I was/am thinking of pulling the cap AND thusly, the deck off as one single piece, but I'm also toying with the idea of cutting the deck out by itself along the perimeter...

Any thoughts as to the good and bad of cutting the deck out first? Will it just "drop" onto the foam?