61- 5.5 Kicker control cables

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
By chance do any of you operating late 50's early 60's "fisherman" 5.5 or similar motor have yours hooked up to a control box? If so what kind of cables do you have and what kind of connectors are you using? I am trying to deal with a 61 5.5 as a kicker motor but because of the usage and difficulty in operating it from the rear I want to add a second control box and run it that way. I was given an old Atwatter contol box with cables the former owner was using but one of the ends is missing and the cables are old...one it hard to pull so I should replace them and maybe the controller too, if it is best. Looking for anyone who is running these like this, where and what should I buy?

lindy46

Captain
Re: 61- 5.5 Kicker control cables

Any evinrude simplex 2-handle control will work. Johnson control will also work, but it must be the pre-1979 control with the number 400 cables. Make sure you get ones with the end connectors on the cables - they are sort of hard to find anymore. Check Ebay - lots of them on there right now.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! Will see what I can find.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sorry but I have to disagree on the cables having to be the pre-1979 version. The cables are specific to the control unit, not the engine.

The difference between the Type 400 and Type 479 cables (both available here at iboats), is set screw secured end fittings v. press fit end fittings. The Evinrude Simplex and Johnson Shipmaster controls are identical, other than badging, and will be either one of two pre-1979 versions, or the 1979 and newer version.

What is different in the two control unit types, is the internal parts used to secure the cable at the bottom of the levers. If you look at the diagrams at shop.evinrude.com, you can see what I am talking about.

One of the best sources for these control units, is EBay. Here's a sale that you can jump on right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHN...8178184QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

???

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! I have been working on the atwatter control I have and while it works, I am concerned about finding cables for it...and the end fitting on the throttle connects but unsure how well. I figured out a way to connect the shifter but that cable is hard to pull / push. I will look at the diagrams you mentioned and give it some more thought. I looked at the Ebay auction, I do not see how these cables would fit onto my motor though. Mine has the clip down for both throttle and shifter but the cables on the auction would not go into it.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The cable anchr clips mount on the motor. The 5.5 may or may not have the shift side cable anchor boss on the lower cowling. The throttle side mounts just behind the hinge for the tiller handle. You'll see a boss there with a threaded hole and a small alignment nub. If it has the boss on the shift side, it'll look just like the throttle side. You may have to improvise to attach one to the shift side, as I think the accessory anchor is relatively rare.

The anchor clips look something like these. There are TWO styles of clips. Old style is for the brass barrel nutted cables at the adjustment end. They have a smaller 'pass through' diameter for the cable and nut. The later, and more common, style, have a larger pass through diameter to accept the more common later style cables with the plastic knurled adjustment nut at the motor end. You'll also notice these clips are stamped P and S, for port and starboard. Not necessary to get the matched set (mirror images of each other), but it does make it easier to remove and install the cables.

Attachments

• OMCThrottleShiftClips_1654.jpg
    OMCThrottleShiftClips_1654.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, those are the clips I have, just not sure what is supposed to hook up to motor. Here are pics with the old cables as close as I can get to being hooked up. the one for the throttle seems OK, but not sure how secure it is, don't have a connector for the shift cable, but think I have found a way to do it. Just not sure this is the way O should proceed however.

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/JSGOLD2009/EVINRUDE5/

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain

This the the type of cable ends you need to connect to the motor. These work with the old style type 400 cables.

Attachments

• cable2.jpg
    cable2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! My guess these are pretty tough to find?

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Lindy! I will watch this item and buy it if possible. Would be worth it to get correct parts. I worry my shifter arm has been drilled out but I'll just have to deal with it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The cables pictured with the Johnson Shipmaster in the auction, appear to be missing the end fittings, which makes them Type 400 cables. This is not a big deal, you can buy new ones easily.

Once again, however, the cable type is a function of the control box, not the engine. The seller in the EBay auction has a "buy it now" price of $39. That's a good price and I would jump on it ... in fact, if you don't I just might!

In your other thread on this setup, I think that we determined that the cowl on your motor is set up for remote control. The one item that we didn't determine, is whether or not you need the bracket for the starboard side of the motor, such as the one used on the 6hp models.

My advice is to either go for the Shipmaster in the auction I referenced, or find one (Simplex or Shipmaster) just like it. The one that Lindy provided a link to, would be fine, but it will probably bid up higher than the other guy's buy it now price.

???

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

I actually see 2-3 more on there, but let me ask....in your opinion then I should not use the old atwatter unit I have, or try to use it? From what I see it coud work but the cables are old. One is OK one is hard to push/pull. I will go by whatever you folks suggest.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Unless you can easily and effectively adapt currently available cables to the Atwarer box, I would get rid of it and go to a Simplex or Shipmaster. If you don't, you will end up fighting with the Atwater continuously, trying to keep it functional.

There is also a safety aspect - if you have some homemade adaptation of the correct setup in place, and that "rig" fails, you could endup having an accident.

In boating, "do it right or don't do it at all," is usually a good rule to abide by.

???

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

OK, then I will do that. I will probably still have to modify the shifter a bit but would have to do that anyway...and I may not so yes, will for for one of these. I like the looks better anyway and I could probably sell the Atwatter control anyway on Ebay. The connectors are still a potential problem, but if I get the one control cheap enough that would work. The handles look awful on the one, but might be good for spare parts as well. Will advise what I am able to do, and thanks!

lindy46

Captain

I know there is not much time but would you get this one with the cables or this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINT...7389676QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

That looks good, but doesn't have the cables, and you really need those motor connectors. I'd buy the other unit for the connectors. Even if the cables are no good, you can buy brand new ones (usually on Ebay) at your desired length and put the motor connectors on the new cable. PM me - I think I have some handles in good shape.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I have a bid in on it...as you said it has cables and the fittings, either one should be easy for me to mount, the rubber handles kind of look ugly though. I will see if I am able to win the auction and let you know.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

One thing I was thinking about the other day on the kicker motor and the cables....since the large motor is centered the hole that the cables run through are also centered, but the kicker is off to the left. When I ran the old cables off the other controller for a test fit it looked like I should cut a hole in the rear section behind the kicker and put a grommet in it so the cables are not off centered. I was concerned about the cables binding some. Sound like a good idea or not needed?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Probably not needed. As long as there are not tight, compound curves in the cables, you should be all right.

Another aspect is that you will probably end up buying new cables anyway, simply because the ones that come with any unit that you buy, are most likely not going to be the right length for your needs. The key to this is to get the right control box for your needs and that would be an OMC unit.

Once you get your hands on a well functioning box, you can take it apart (easy to do), clean it, paint it, re-grease it, etc. You can also determine at that point, whether it takes Type 400 or Type 479 cables. The difference will be obvious, because the casing guide in the pre-1979 (Type 400 cables) units, have set screws in them, while the later ones do not.

BTW, you can also order cable in different lengths. I used to have a pair of 1958 ERude Bigtwins (35hp) on my current boat. My set up involved a starboard side cable run, with a transverse run across the splash well, to each control. I used four different cable lengths to do this. The reason for doing so was that it allowed adequate cable length for each gearshift and throttle arm, without having a bunch of excess, looped cable that was not required for the shorter runs.

???