1985 XR2 150 Water System and Compression

85stratosman

Cadet
I have a 1985 Mercury XR2 150 Serial Number A178856 that i am having some issues with. I have water coming out of a little hole of this thing close to the number 5 cylinder right under the switch boxes, I pulled it out and it has a rubber ring and a spring in it. I cant find a name for it to order another one cuz im sure water is not suppose to come out of it. Also I have good compression on all cylinders except number 5. It is 120 all the way then 90 on number 5. Could this have something to do with the water coming out of that little hole at the number 5. Also the motor hasnt been in the water in a year and there was a lot of old gas in it so I cleaned all the carbs and took it to the lake. At first as soon as I hit the gas it rocketed out of the hole and was shaggin *** then acted like it flooded out and shut down. Would crank back up, but as soon as I let off of hotfoot it would die and when I would try putting it back in gear it would stall. Any help out there at all. I was worried about that low cylinder but when it shot off out of the hole at first like that I think there is something else happening cuz if the cylinder was bad she wouldnt have jumped like that. Please help so I can order the parts. Thanks in advance.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1985 XR2 150 Water System and Compression

That valve is called a poppet valve.

Sounds like you might have stuck a piston. Not good news on the compression.

85stratosman

Cadet
Re: 1985 XR2 150 Water System and Compression

Thanks just ordered new gaskets and seals for the poppet valve, new needles and seats for all carbureators, new impellar, and new plugs maybe that will get her running right so that I can try to decarb that piston.