Mercarb 2bl rebuild...

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My "trusty" 3.7 (165 2bl) has a "dead-spot" just above idle. It will stall/hesitate whenever this RPM is reached, whether increasing or decreasing RPMs, full engine temp or not. I took the carb apart, and found some off-white colored "gunk" in the bottom of the carb. So......I am gonna rebuild this carb using the Merc. carb kit I just purchased. I was just looking for any tips/pointers/insight on performing the rebuild. I am more in tune to working on engines with injectors and computers. Any input will be appreciated.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercarb 2bl rebuild...

first of all,the cleaner, you can strip the carb and take it to a shop that has a bucket of carb cleaner and get them to soak it over night. or you can buy some if you think you might use it again. chrysler combustion chamber cleaner works quite well also, just flush with solvent after soaking. blow everything out with air and follow the instructions in the kit. I advise replacing the float also. good luck:)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Buy a can of berrymans carb dip @ auto zone 20.00 dissasemble (keep track of old pieces for comparrison) blow out, wash with soapy water,blow out again, dip, blow out again, wash with soapy water, blow out inspect may need to dip again get it clean keep organized and clean work area follow instructions to a T the hardest part is setting the float levels. Post back with results good luck!!!!!

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. Good call on replacing the float...didn't think about that.