bottom paint questions

66mstgfsbk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1999 245 winns sundowner. i will be leaving it in the ca delta for a few months in the water then pull it out to trailer store it. sometimes take it out and put it in the sf bay and out of santa cruz for a day. the bay and santa cruz is salt water. when do i need to worry about painting the bottom of my boat. currently its not painted. thanks

Yacht Davits

Banned
Re: bottom paint questions

That depends on the type of antifouling that is used. The longevity of multi-season copolymers such as Micron Extra & Micron CSC is related to the amount of paint applied. These paints will retain the antifouling properties as long as the paint is on the hull.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Generally haveing the boat in salt water for a few days (<14) does not require bottom paint. If you keep it in fresh water for an extended time, you may or may not need bottom paint. It is best to check with the locals who keep their boats there, and see what they use.

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Just to add on... bottom paint should be applied just before launching into salt water, not extended periods beforehand, as it should be slightly 'tacky' when launched due to the anti-fouling characteristics.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Micron CSC, only way to go, you can pull it out for the winter, give it a light pressure wash and its good to go

mattttt25

Commander

Based on your description of use, I would paint, no other options. Pick a high quality ablative paint. Follow the directions. Most ablatives these days retain their anti-fouling ability during extended layups out of the water, and there is no relaunch requirement after painting.

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you apply a barrier coat before your bottom paint. Typically a different color so you can see when it's time to repaint.

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would ask a local boat shop about what works best in that area, up here having slime control(scx) is very important, also get "hard" paint its ment for trailerable boats.