Tried to remove oil filter and it crushed

thunked

Cadet
I just got back from West Marine, he couldn't find part for the oil filter I brought - but he looked it up in the book and gave me one, with a oil filter remover.

So I get under the boat with this remover, and get it snug and start rotating. Nothing. I pull off the tool and look down there and the oil filter has crumbled. I look at the remover and it's almost like it goes with a smaller oil filter. Not only that, this thing doesn't even fit around the oil filter he gave me. Arggh, West Marine is an hour away so I just wasted a bunch of time.

Once this oil filter is crumpled and I screwed? I had another tool before which worked better, so I'm going to go try and find one. It was more like a claw, whereas this one he sold me is like a wrench with a metal band on it - but it looks like if the circumfrence doesn't fit this wrench it will just pierce/crumple it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Tried to remove oil filter and it crushed

If you have room, simply drive a screwdriver into the body of the filter and turn it that way. Messy, but effective. ;)

snoski

Seaman

Remember which way you were turning the filter wrench?

fishrdan

Admiral

The screwdriver trick as Fishermark said works good.

You could also glue a piece of cloth backed sand paper (emery cloth) to the filter wrench to help it get more bite on the filter and try closer to the engine on the filter. I don't know if this would help as you said the filter is already crushed.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

You dont need to buy stuff from west marine just b/c youre working on a boat. Go to an auto parts store and get the oil filter and wrench. Napa is a good place to buy marine parts since they actually have a marine book.

I personally use a cup wrench to remove oil filters but a strap wrench works great also. With a strap wrench you can put the band right around the top of the filter so it wont just crumple.

Cup wrench:

Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.JPG

Strap wrench:

oil_filter_wrench.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Remember to put the new one on with a little oil on the rubber gasket and just hand tight...
I have had a few get crushed and it is not fun...it will come off though..:)

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

To avoid future filter frustration (alliteration purely coincidental), I recommend a remote filter kit. It saves doing the Houdini impersonations of trying to get at the filter. Is well worth the $45.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not that it will help this time but like wire2 said. Remote filter is the only way to go.. Good luck. I have used the screwdriver trick before and it works great.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'll vote for the remote filter as well, makes changing the filter a cinch. Screw driver, sandpaper in hands, put folded sandpaper b/w strap wrench and filter, or use the cup wrench. It'll work.....I know it's frustrating. Just think how great it's gonna be when you back on the boat with clean oil and new filter....

:)

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not in everybody's tool box, but I find a really big pair of slip joint pliers very handy......if you have the room to swing them.

Attachments

• 480.jpg
    480.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

To avoid future filter frustration (alliteration purely coincidental), I recommend a remote filter kit. It saves doing the Houdini impersonations of trying to get at the filter. Is well worth the $45.
Which remote oil filter kit can you buy for $45?

cr2k

Captain

You can also get an oil filter wrench that looks like a pair of channel locks. They work great and will fit all sizes.

I am curious how you got to the filter from UNDER the boat? Have a big hole in it?

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My vote by FAR is one of these:

A nylon strap wrench. These are the BALZ especially if you have to work with so many differernt dia. filters. This wrench works from my smallest (Generac generator) oil filter, all the way up to my cartridge type household water filter housings ! Like others commented, smear a bit of oil on the gasket, and JUST "hand snug" is all's that's needed !!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

You might consider using a K&N brand filter...they have a bolt head as part of the cannister:

9gkppd.jpg

Happy boating!

zbnutcase

Commander

I fired up my MIG welder and put tacks on the inside of my filter wrench for more bite, works slick. 'nutcase