Not For The Faint Hearted!

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Beware, this is ugly! I'm doing a transom on my 14' Dorsett. I read posts on this forum and everything is going OK. I used 2 pieces of 3/4 " CDX and glued the transom in with 6 tubes of PL Premium. This is my first time working with resin/glass, so, I figured I'd make some mistakes. Anyway, I mixed my resin, then layed the glass as instructed, or, so I thought. Anyway, I checked it after about 30 minutes and everything looked good. I had to leave for about 3 hours and I came back and discovered the resin had run and the glass tape had seperated from the transom. It had cured and I couldn't repair it. So, I guess I'll have to grind it off and start over. Just a note, the old transom had no glass or resin on the inside or on the bottom of the transom. It had a small amount of glass along the sides, where the transom connects to the boat. How much do I have to grind away. Go easy on me it's my first time and I usually have to do a job twice.

transomrebuild021.jpg

transomrebuild022.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Not For The Faint Hearted!

Hey, just think of it as good experience. As you learned, it's not a good idea to leave fresh glass unattended until its cured. Gravity and heat can cause the glass to move sometimes. I hang around with the paint brush in acetone ready to pat down any areas that show an air gap or peel starting. Once the resin sets, it won't move.

All in all, you are doing a good job, and doing it right.