Depth Finder ?

Coosa River

Seaman
A little late to ask, but was looking for a cheap depth finder to place on this old boat of mine.

I just bought this one off ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250526980585&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I've never heard of this brand, but H birds is about all anyone will buy around here.
Is this thing that I bought here any good at all ?......all I really need is accurate depth from 0 - 30 mph.......I'll stick with finding the fish with the end of a hook.

Thanks for remarks....tell me the truth.

Coosa River

asautt

Cadet
Re: Depth Finder ?

I see it has a through hull transducer. I wouldn't want to drill a hole through the hull on my boat to use and antique depth sounder.

Alan

Coosa River

Seaman

I actually already have a hole in the (center) bottom of the boat where a live well used to be. It's been plugged up by previous owner....but the hole is still there.....would need to remove the plug is all.

But, I actually was thinking of making a break away bracket to slip this thing on, and mounting it on the transom. I see no reason why it wouldn't still operate that way......do you ?

I had an old H Bird blip type years ago, and had better reading on it while moving than "LCD screen" types. I guess I'm hoping that someone here will tell me that this one that I bought on ebay is in the same "field" as that old H bird that I used to have.

Coosa River

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I say go for it.It should be more accurate at speed than the LCD fish finders..
I would use the hole in the hull that's already there and bed it good with 3M-4200.Make sure that hole stays submerged when underway.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If the existing hole is anywhere close to a place where where there is turbulence when you move,then it will leave the depth reader useless.Worse is having a transducer sticking out under the hull because it will create its own turbulence.The only place for those old big transducers is level with the hull and just behind the stern, away from the propeller wash
You can get a decent depth/fish finder ( eagle,garmin or h bird) for under 50 dollars these days and when bought in a store you will have some form of guarantee.
These old depth finders where great when they first came out in the seventies,but times and technology has brought improvements.
If you have a fiberglass boat you can stick it to the bottom inside the hull close to the stern and you will get a decent reading,just make sure that there is no air between the hull and your transducer.

Coosa River

Seaman

My boat is an old 15ft Fisher Allum. Flatbottom. The existing hole is right down the center line, about 4 ft back up from the rear of the boat. No way this 25hp will lift the boat that high out of the water, but I don't have a clue how much air bubble turbulence would be in that area.

Looking at the picture of this thing, it looks like it probably mounts up tight.....it just don't look that big, or would stick down much........but now you got me spooked at how big it is. I guess we'll see what I bought when it gets here next week. It may end up hanging in the shop with some of my other "great purchases".

Coosa River

rolmops

Vice Admiral

My boat is an old 15ft Fisher Allum. Flatbottom. The existing hole is right down the center line, about 4 ft back up from the rear of the boat. No way this 25hp will lift the boat that high out of the water, but I don't have a clue how much air bubble turbulence would be in that area.

Looking at the picture of this thing, it looks like it probably mounts up tight.....it just don't look that big, or would stick down much........but now you got me spooked at how big it is. I guess we'll see what I bought when it gets here next week. It may end up hanging in the shop with some of my other "great purchases".

Coosa River

The transducer that you have,is made to sit in a bracket behind the stern.The long threaded bolt on top allows you to set it exactly flush with the bottom of the hull.
If the package is complete,it will probably come with a stern bracket.In fact if you look at the pictures,you will see a stainless steel bracket sitting in a baggy together with a wire and some hardware.
If you try to install it under the hull,you will probably damage it when you try to get your boat onto a trailer.

Coosa River

Seaman

Ah Yes.....hadn't even given the trailer a thought. Thanks.

And to the Administrators/Moderators here, sorry for starting this thread in the wrong section. I might should have gotten one of these depth finders with GPS where I would know where to go.

Coosa River