1976 Johnson 55hp 55EL76E - Wont start & Oil Leak

Jimmy85

Recruit
Hi there, I have a 1976 Johnson 55hp 55EL76E outboard motor that just wont start. Recently bought a used boat with the engine, have taken it out a few times and it worked perfectly fine with no troubles starting what so ever. The other day decided to take it out fishing again, it started fine then about 100 metres the engine just cut off and wouldnt start. Theres no spark coming through to the spark plugs, it has a new battery. I noticed that when I lifted the engine up it seemed like there was oil leaking from the engine into the water but wasnt too sure exactly where it was coming from. Does anyone have any idea what exactly is wrong with it? Thanks:confused:

Deanrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1976 Johnson 55hp 55EL76E - Wont start & Oil Leak

I'm no expert but I'll help any way I can. The spark issue is probably the coils. Follow the spark plug wire back and that's the coil, (if you didn't know). One per cylinder. Cheap fix.

The oil leak all depends on where it's coming from. You say it's coming from the engine, can you be more specific about where it's coming from?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I had that exact engine and sold it last year. Actually I traded it for a Honda ATV :)

It could be the powerpack. If both spark have failed at the same time that is what I'd check. My local OMC mechanic says that 99% of the time no spark on both cylinders is the power pack.

And oil drains from the LU normally. It is unburnt oil/gas/water. You have to see where it's coming from. There are machined drain holes on the LU, if from there, all is ok. Or crack the lower unit drain screw slightly and see what drips out. Oil, water or a milky combo.

Jimmy85

Recruit

Thanks all, I have tested the powerpack, it works fine, theres also spark on the engine now which is strange from the time it died out in the water.
However the engine still does not start, it turns over but failed for ignition. i noticed that as i start the engine it cuts off after a while. Then after that it just wont start at all when i retry it, it just constantly turns over. As foir the leak, im not too sure where it came from but by the looks of it i dont see any signs of leakage anymore, must be excess fuel, oil being burned.:confused: