No spark evinrude 48 hp

Payed4

Recruit
I have a evinrude 48 hp.
Ok,heres the problem the motor want start there is no spark.
Now you all are going to want to know what year and model numbers and things like that but I bought the boat from a old retired outbourd motor mech. who for fun buys old boats and motors and fixes them and resells them so I dont know exactly what I have.
I think the problem might be either the power pack or a bad wire from the ig switch.
Does anyone know what color the wire that goes from the ig switch to the power pack is.
When I bought the boat he showed me a number on the block and it started E48 and there were some other letters but the boat is about an hour away.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: No spark evinrude 48 hp

Model number will definitely get you more advice. There are several "electrical" tests you could perform , check coils, powerpack, sensor, wiring. You will need a good manual and the proper tools to test, multimeter for starters and maybe a DVA.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

model # should be on freeze plug. like this. with that you will get much better advice, electric start? does it turn over with starter?
MVC-859S-1.jpg

Payed4

Recruit

Yea it turns over normally.
The reason I think it might be a wire from the ig switch is the ig switch was loose and someone has been turning it until the wires have been twisted up pritty badly .
None of the wires look broken or pulled loose one of the wires could still be bad.
I dont suppose all Evinrudes
starter harnesses are the same .
Where would the id wire from the ig switch go to on the ig system back on the motor if I could pick that wire up and see if it has voltage it would be a starting point.

Payed4

Recruit

I just need to know where on the motor the wire from ig switch is attached

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Need a year and model still, wiring can change from year to year. And there is way more that one wire to that ig switch. There are fuses, safeties, grounds, relay's, all kinds of crap that can cause "no spark", coils, sensors,pickup's, powerpack's, stators, bad wires/plugs, wiring issues. Until a model # shows up it's like throwing darts at a board.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are our eyes and ears, if you do not answer our questions, you do not get proper advice. it is that plain and simple. what is the model #?