Somebody bought my boat

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
I've had my eye on this 1970 ish 18 foot Starcraft holiday. Contacted the owner and have been trying to hook up with him to see/buy the boat. Last weekend he was busy the weekend before I couldn't make the 120 mile trip. This Saturday everything is set, I'm going to buy this thing.

I email the boat owner on Wednesday confirming my little road trip. No email back, hmmm... Thursday I get an email saying the boat is sold. This boat was on CL and ebay for like 2-3 months. Now I'm hooked on Starcraft tinnies and it's gone? I'm upset over not getting this $400 boat.:mad:

Now what do I do? I'm addicted to craigslist and this forum. I find myself loosing interest in boats that look to good. Not enough work to do on that one, paints too shiny on that one, that one is too new. Darn it's fiberglass.

What's happened to me? I've got another tab with Searchtempest open right now. I will keep you informed as to my condition. I'm still buying the HVLP paint gun at Harbor Freight tomorrow!!!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Somebody bought my boat

I feel your pain I went through the same thing a while back, but the trip for me was 780 miles one way. The seller told me he would hold the boat and that I didn't need to send any money, I tried a few times. I had jobs to work and just had to wait like a month to go. We talked at least once every week sometimes twice. The week I was going to make the trip there was no return call from him. Then a couple days later his wife e-mailed me giving me the news they sold it a couple days before.:mad: Someone offered them $500.00 more than the price he quoted me.....Why he didn't call me back and ask if I would pay the new price.
confused0024.gif
I know I would have.:(
Here's a couple links I see up that way for you to check.
http://detroit.en.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1449737094.html
http://nmi.en.craigslist.org/boa/1445514269.html

86 century

Ensign

I am that way right now I have five boats.(three starcrafts 2glass 1tin)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I went through a similar thing a couple months ago. I hate when that happens. :(

Lil' Rhody

Seaman

I kept thinking that was going to happen to my lucky find- a 21' Sunchief about 50 miles away but I ended up scoring it.
PS-I'll be selling a 1971 18' Holiday in about a month. A project boat for me that ended when I got my 21' Sunchief. There is a new deck and 12-15 leaky rivets repaired/tightened, a well used trailer but no motor. I'll be looking for $300 if at all interested

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I may take this time to re-evaluate my needs. I like the Islander series and would like to get as big a boat as I can fit on in my driveway. My garage is only 20 foot deep with an 8 foot high door, however I can lengthen the garage to 25 feet real easy. The driveway is 9 foot between the fence and the house.

I'd like to fish all the way through November on Lake St. Clair. Maybe something with a cabin or top to keep the wind off us would work.

I really want a 22' Islander but I would have to store it somewhere for winter and find a slip on the lake for summer. I might be able to keep a 19-20 footer in the driveway. What models come in this size?

Wife says if I wait until springtime I can spend $5000 or so on a boat.I think I'm down until March, but I am definitely getting a Starcraft aluminum. Looking for any and all advice on this. LIL RHODY; Rhode Island is a long way from Detroit so I will pass on the offer, thanks though.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

A man that will extend his garage for a boat has got the Starcraft sickness :D Keep looking, "your" boat will show up soon :) $5000.00 for the boat...now that's a wife!:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the Holiday...try "crazedlist.org"...it's how I found the perfect Starcraft for my length-challenged garage...a '79 16' yellow SS.

You will find a good, keep looking:)

By the way I'm in Lansing and will give you a shout if I see anything around my area that you'd be interested in if you'd like:D

Here's one for $875 with a 120hp I/O that "runs"
http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/1460927904.html

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep looking. Part of the problem is I'm not sure what I want. It needs to be big enough for Lake St. Clair, yet small enough to trailer. I'll have to launch it by myself (my 5 year old is no help) so aluminum would be ideal. I have a 4 cylinder Ranger right now and if the boat gets too heavy I'll need to upgrade trucks.

I have allready figured on winter storage on a lot somwhere. Anything over 16' won't fit in the garage, the door is only 7' high. Spring/Summer/fall storage would be in the driveway.

My wife is afraid of the water and LSC can get pretty nasty. She worries me and the boy will drown. She wants me to get a decent boat that runs good and has mentioned a 20 footer for safety reasons. I'm not sure she knows how big that is though. I'm thinking a 18 - 20 foot. I really like the look of the older 60's and 70's Starcrafts and I'm not afraid of doing a total restoration. Well I think that narrows it down a bit.

Lots of cool boats around here, I want them all.:eek:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

...She wants me to get a decent boat that runs good and has mentioned a 20 footer for safety reasons...
Ummm... there's your answer right there!

If you have a wife that says you need a 20 footer, then you NEED to get a 20 footer!! :D

bwana,

one of the nice things about Starcraft tin boats is that they are VERY numerous & frequently for sale CHEAP - at least around here. - i almost wonder if ANY, that were ever made, aren't still "hanging around" someplace?

fyi, i paid 250.oo for my '62 ( i think a Jupiter), an old (but good running) 35hp Merc & a usable '62 Dilly trailer. = makes little difference, as it will be a "straight fishing machine" for the salt.

best of luck.

btw, unless it's sold in the last few days, i know where a 21 footer is for sale cheap - PM me, if interested.

yours, PG

fshngho

Lieutenant

Bwana, I feel your pain. Many, many years ago I started with fiberglass bass boats. Heck, the first one I got was trashed. I had to split it, put all new streamers in it, put the top and bottom halves back together and then completely redo the interior. God I hate fiberglass!!! Thats what lead me to my Starcraft. I actually bought it for a friend of mine and he backed out after I got it. Earlier this year I found this forum and tried to see if anyone would be interested in it. Then I had back surgery in April,nothing to do but read this forum. Got hooked very quickly. Few months ago noticed a SS for sale around 1200. Very pretty and ready to go, but couldnt ask SWMBO cause I have my bassboat and the Starchief. Still could kick myself. Anyway, these gentlemen have good suggestions, and I would recommend checking out my area too. Last month a soldier stationed at Fort lee near here was selling his Islander for 2000. and he had just rebuilt the engine. Said he just brought it here from Mich where there are tons of these boats. LOL
Good Luck and God Bless

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be picky. I saw tons of them for sale this summer. It looks like the boat classifieds are finally slowing down in my area. It would suck to buy a fixer upper in the spring, you won't fish until June.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks fishingpa, that's not to far from me. I believe it' s south of Cleveland. Less than 200 miles from Detroit area.

I am going to do like moonfish says and be picky. I was looking for a project for the fall/winter but it's getting late in the year now. I just put up the Christmas lights and cleaned out the gutters. My next project is ceramic tile for the kitchen floor.

I've paid off my wifes minivan and all the credit cards. Next is the home equity line of credit and that should done be by spring. Wifey says get a boat then and get a good one.

If that 18' holiday had panned out, I would have the motor out and tore down allready. Didin't know all that much about starcraft boats then or I would have been more aggressive in pursuing it. I'm kinda hooked on Starcrafts now, the more I see them the more I like them.

I'll start again in March, thinking of 18-20'. Islander, Starchief, Holiday. etc. Less project and more fishing ready. The Smallmouth Bass fishing is unbelievable in the spring around here. Not to mention, Pike, Salmon, Walleye and it would be a shame to miss it. Muskie opens in June....

Thanks for looking guys, I'll be hanging around checking out all your projects for now. Pencil me in as a future member, spring time is just around the corner.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like you have a good plan going then!
hope all works out 4 you !

see ya around here sometime later.

yes look at the islanders ! if you wanna fish for all species you can make a real sweet set-up with one.Go all day or all week-end ,lots of options.
Had a lot of others before we got the Islander and it is without a doubt staying with us ! Gettng a 4.3l v-6 , power steering and some inside re arranging and additions over winter,may get to the paint in spring who knows may just be fishin in it ..

fish

fishmonster13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you'll find one just got to keep looking . as for me i miss my starcraft, but will have another as soon as i get some other stuff paid off and this time I'm defiantly going bigger at least 20ft:D for now i'm stuck in a 16ft bayliner, i hate fiberglass:mad:

sprintst

Commander

i did the same Craigslist thing and snapped one night.. I drove 17 hours to get it as I wanted a freshwater boat.

I was originally looking for a 22' Supersport but couldn't find out at that time...

fishmonster13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i did the same Craigslist thing and snapped one night.. I drove 17 hours to get it as I wanted a freshwater boat.

I was originally looking for a 22' Supersport but couldn't find out at that time...

22 ss is what i have my eye out for , there was one here but didn't get it:(