Converting bunk trailer

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever converted a bunk trailer over to the bunk rollers?<br />I have a slip on aluminum trailer with 10" high bunks that is a real pain to load and unload. I am considering lowering the bunks to 4 X 6 and topping them with the rollers that mount on top of the bunks. <br />BTW the boat is a 26' Dusky WAC and the loading and unloading is the only time I am really dissatisfied with the rig.

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Converting bunk trailer

go to keaton beach and use the lift<br />best $6.00 i spend on a day of fishing.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

If friction is the problem (bunks vs. rollers), consider plastic glide-ons. There's a variety of types and they made a significant difference with my trailer. Mainly, they made it so I didn't have to submerge the trailer as far for loading and unloading. Pretty cheap and easy mod.

Dunaruna

Admiral

RetNav, just a thought, I concidered the same conversion but the manufacturer of my boat strongly suggested against it. They told me my boat is designed for keel support only, any constant pressure points on the hull (not keel) will cause damage.<br /><br />Maybe check with your boat maker first. I changed my carpeted bunks to P.V.C and its much easier to launch & retrieve now.<br /><br />Aldo

D

DJ

Lower the bunks. Each inch you can lower the boat height means about a foot less that you have to back it in.<br /><br />The bunk slicks work well too.

LouSylvia

Cadet

Hey Dunaruna<br />What type of PVC are you talking about? Can you get it flat?

Dunaruna

Admiral

LouSylvia, its the stuff (I think) that D. reffered to as 'plastic glide ons'.<br /><br />It comes in different profiles - flat, concave, half moon etc.<br /><br />Different compositions are used depending on hull type (softer/harder).<br /><br />i-boats have it for sale in their megamall. <br /><br />Some people don't like it because it can leave a mark on the hull, but its only a superficial mark.<br /><br />Aldo

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> LouSylvia, its the stuff (I think) that D. reffered to as 'plastic glide ons'.<br /><br />It comes in different profiles - flat, concave, half moon etc.<br /><br />Different compositions are used depending on hull type (softer/harder).<br /><br />i-boats have it for sale in their megamall. <br /><br />Some people don't like it because it can leave a mark on the hull, but its only a superficial mark.<br /><br />Aldo

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

oops computer's doing wierd stuff today and I posted the above w/o my comments!<br /><br />Yes, Dunaruna and I are talking about the same stuff. "plastic stuff" you screw onto the bunks. Comes in various forms - rectangular pieces w/ spaces inbetween, long narrow strips, etc. etc. Some are solid material, some are moulded.<br /><br />I believe the "plastic stuff" is really "ultra-high molecular weight" (AKA UHMW) plastic, not PVC. This is the stuff used for dog sled runners, snowmobile ski covers, etc. etc. They even coat some airboat hulls with it. Super tough, durable and slick.<br /><br />I checked into buying the material locally (at a glass and plastic shop) and just ripping it to size. I ended up buying a kit from one of the major mail order places because, when all was said and done, getting the material cut to the right shape, holes drilled and countersunk, and all necessary hardware was well worth the tiny price difference from buying raw materials. It was REALLY SUPER EASY to do it from the kit - maybe a 30 minute job for two 12' bunks. DIY with raw materials would have been only slightly less easy, assuming availability of proper stainless screws.<br /><br />For the very modest price (again, IN BOATING TERMS), and being so easy, it really helped my bunk trailer. Some of the ads for this stuff say it's so slick that it virtually acts like rollers - this wasn't quite the case with mine. However, it did really make it much easier to both load and unload and I'm happy and recommend this sort of thing highly.

Dunaruna

Admiral

D. I thought it was P.V.C but I'll just call it 'plastic stuff' from now on. I don't have to drown the trailer anymore, its definetly slippery enough. Thanks. Aldo

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Start with the quickest, easiest and cheapest remedy. Silicone spray the bunks.<br /><br />I HAD the same problem. I spray two or three coats two or three times a year. Launching/loading (now) is a breeze. :cool: